CAMWEST News for December 2000

Fri Dec 1 00:00:00 EST 2000

*** CAMWEST NEWS DEC-JAN 2000-1
Online version: http://camwest.pps.com.au/index.html

* Parramatta-Liverpool RailTrail Opening
The Transport Minister, Carl Scully, is launching the new Parramatta-Liverpool Rail Trail on Saturday 2nd December, 12 noon in Cabravale Park near Cabramatta. CAMWESTies will ride to the launch site and the most convenient starting point for most of us would be at Merrylands railway station (east side) at 10am. It's a mostly fabulous ride for the whole family. We urge you to come and show Mr Scully that there are lots of us westie cyclists around and that this cycleway will be well used.

This is a great example of how the RTA and local councils can achieve things when they try. It was completed in a short time-frame with fairly good results.

We have produced a full cycleway audit report. Most of it is very good. Our main gripe is a nasty habit of installing posts and signs where they are going to hurt people, and councils taking shortcuts when implementing the designs. Well done to all involved, and let's have more of these projects!

*** OTHER NEWS (http://camwest.pps.com.au/index.html)
* Oil Prices Still Very High
  New links: http://camwest.pps.com.au/news/petrol-prices.html#OilLinks

* CAMWEST on Sydney Morning Herald

* Bay to Mountains ride a huge success (photos, rider survey report)
  http://camwest.pps.com.au/rides/b2m.html

* Global Warming Alert

* Parramatta Council Reviews Bike Plan

* Gong Ride a Wet One

* CAMWEST Christmas BBQ

* Cycleway extension progress

* Liverpool Busway EIS Submission

* Disabled Rider a Hero

*** UPCOMING EVENTS

Parramatta-Liverpool RailTrail Launch
     Saturday December 2

Cycle Sydney
     Sunday December 3

RTA Big Ride (Oberon to Forbes)
     31 March - Sun 8 April, 2001

*** ABOUT THIS EMAIL
CAMWEST is a group of dedicated cyclists who work with local Councils, the RTA and other bodies that provide for cyclists in Western Sydney.
CAMWEST News is a brief update on our website, camwest.pps.com.au, where you can find bicycle news, rides, and advocacy resources. This email is sent every two months. Your email address is kept private - we won't give it to any third parties without your consent.

Write to camwest_group at hotmail.com if you'd like to:
.Stop receiving this email;
.Let us know of cycling related news and events we can publish;
.Tell us of suggestions for the site (or mistakes!);
.Write a letter to the site editor (http://camwest.pps.com.au/news/letters.html);
.Give us ideas of projects and improvements for cycling in Western Sydney;
.Let us know you're coming to a ride or want to get involved.

Please support our work by passing on this email and our web address:
http://camwest.pps.com.au/