CAMWEST News for August 2000

Tue Aug 1 00:00:00 EST 2000

CAMWEST NEWS AUG-SEP 2000 - POLICE ON BIKES
After a long time of depending on motorised vehicles, police units around the world are starting to see once again the value of bicycles for policing. The Parramatta command was the first in Sydney to adopt bikes, and it was an instant success in community policing. It has grown to 14 members, has achieved 246 arrests and laid more than 300 charges. It has contributed in bringing Parramatta down from the 3rd worst crime area to a ranking of 21.

In this issue, we interview Senior Constable Dave Flood, a keen cyclist and an officer in the Parramatta police unit. He tells us how it all started, describes a typical day in the bike unit, and shares his thoughts on cycling in Western Sydney.
http://camwest.pps.com.au/news/bike-police.html

OTHER NEWS (http://camwest.pps.com.au/index.html)
Upper Parramatta River Cycleway Proposal Presented
Parramatta Council narrows cycle route
Parramatta-Liverpool Cycleway to be opened on October 29
M4 Viaduct Cycleway Exhibition
Car Free Day -Parramatta Park, Sunday 6th August
Anzac Bridge Cycleway completed
New Cycleway Investigated
Active Australia Day Preparation
Riding to Olympic Park

UPCOMING EVENTS
Wheel for Westmead
     Sunday 6th August, 2000 10am -2pm
     Parramatta Park
     Fund Raiser for Westmead Hospital.
    $5 entry, call 9845 7692. It's a car free day, so catch public transport or just ride.
Tizzana Winery Luncheon Ride
     Sunday August 27
     Great lunch, different routes
CAMWEST Bay to Mountains ride and Active Australia Day
    Sunday October 29
Sydney to Wollongong ride
    Sunday November 19
Cycle Sydney
     Sunday December 3
RTA Big Ride (Oberon to Fordes)
     31 March - Sun 8 April, 2001

ABOUT THIS EMAIL
CAMWEST is a group of dedicated cyclists who work with local Councils, the RTA and other bodies that provide for cyclists in Western Sydney.
CAMWEST News is a brief update on our website, camwest.pps.com.au, where you can find bicycle news, rides, and advocacy resources. This email is sent every two months. Your email address is kept private - we won't give it to any third parties without your consent.

Write to molmos at ozemail.com.au if you'd like to:
.Stop receiving this email;
.Let us know of cycling related news and events we can publish;
.Tell us of suggestions for the site (or mistakes!);
.Write a letter to the site editor (http://camwest.pps.com.au/news/letters.html);
.Give us ideas of projects and improvements for cycling in Western Sydney;
.Let us know you're coming to a ride or get involved.

You are most welcome to send this email to others who might be interested, but please don't alter it.