CAMWEST News for October 2003

Wed Oct 1 00:00:00 EST 2003

*** CAMWEST NEWS OCTOBER 2003
Online version: http://camwest.pps.com.au/index.html

*** Feature: The Energy Paradigm Shift
Why are we still pouring money into roads, when we are facing a high risk of world oil production peaking? Danny Hannan ponders on the energy challenges we are facing, and what we should do about it.

Read Full Article
http://camwest.pps.com.au/news/index.html

*** UPCOMING RIDES AND EVENTS
Why Cycling makes Good Sense
A talk by former UK Transport Minister and current Chair of the UK National Cycling Strategy Board Steven Norris
6pm on Thursday 16 October
Department of Infrastructure Planning & Natural Resources (Heny
Deane Place, opposite Railway Square)
More Info: Andrew Cole, 9762 8036

Sydney to Wollongong Ride
2nd November

RTA Cycle Sydney
30th November
Call 1800 68 68 54
More Info

*** NEWS (http://camwest.pps.com.au/index.html)
* Bike Week Celebrations
* Ride to Work Day
* Parramatta Heritage Ride
* M4 Cycleway Progress
* Prospect Canal Cycleway Complete!
* Bay to Mountains Ride - 200 Riders
* Tizzana Winery Luncheon Ride a Hit
* Holroyd - Steering Committee Set Up
* Hawkesbury - Schools Connected
* Print Newsletter Released
* CAMWEST at Bike Show
* CAMWEST AGM Report
* Another Cyclist is Born
* ABC, CSIRO, New Scientist Cover Oil Depletion
* Public Transport Trouble - Parry Inquiry

*** ACTION CORNER  -  http://camwest.pps.com.au/index.html#action
Email Transport Minister Michael Cost, and ask him to support cycling and public transport in view of increasing energy risks. Below is an example:

Email: minister at transport.nsw.gov.au

Dear Minister Costa,

There has recently been some very disappointing news about public transport. Please follow the example of your Labour colleague Alannah MacTiernan, WA Planning and Infrastructure Minister, who has recently acknowledged that "oil will be in increasingly short supply in the coming 10 to 20 years" and has as a result launched a Transport Energy Strategy (links below). This strategy will seek to shift Perth away from its high car dependence towards more sustainable modes, such as rail, cycling, and walking.

Regards,

CAMWEST's Action Corner is where we include one or two suggestions of something simple and concrete that you can do: write an email, letter, representation, turn up for a ride, etc. Join us in making a difference!

*** LAST ISSUE
Feature: Duck Creek Cycleway Proposal
http://camwest.pps.com.au/news/200308.html

For an archive of previous issues, see:
http://camwest.pps.com.au/news/site-index.html

*** ABOUT THIS EMAIL
CAMWEST is a group of dedicated cyclists who work with local Councils, the RTA and other bodies that provide for cyclists in Western Sydney.
CAMWEST News is a brief update on our website, http://camwest.pps.com.au, where you can find bicycle news, rides, and advocacy resources. This email is sent every two months. Your email address is kept private - we won't give it to any third parties without your consent.

Write to info at camwest.pps.com.au if you'd like to:
- Stop receiving this email;
- Let us know of cycling related news and events we can publish;
- Tell us of suggestions for the site (or mistakes!);
- Write a letter to the site editor (http://camwest.pps.com.au/news/letters.html);
- Give us ideas of projects and improvements for cycling in Western Sydney;
- Tell us you're getting this email twice;
- Let us know you're coming to a ride or want to get involved.

Please support our work by passing on this email and our web address:
http://camwest.pps.com.au/