[CAMWEST-announce] Thackeray St Bridge,Camellia open again

John Holstein jonhol2 at netscape.net
Thu Sep 4 20:51:12 EST 2008

Fellow CAMWESTies

I rode to the Thackeray St Bridge today to see what was happening there. I found the bridge open again after several months of closure for repairs. This bridge was a very popular route for cyclists travelling from Parramatta & gave access to the Northern side of the Parramatta River from the Camellia Industial Area (Shell Refinery, Rosehill racecourse etc)
I say "Was" because part of the renovation was to fit a hand rail on either side of the bridge, effectively making it very difficult to negotiate the already narrow bridge with a bicycle. The bridge is now so narrow that it iss almost impossible to walk beside a cycle & push it up the very steep stairs.

The work is of a very high quality but it is obvious that no input wwas sought from Cyclists before it was carried out.

Maybe some correspondence could be directed to Sydney Water, pointing out the shortcomings of their work