[CAMWEST-announce] Audit of cycleways in Parramatta LGA

John Holstein jonhol2 at netscape.net
Wed Mar 3 20:43:13 EST 2010

Fellow CAMWESTies,
                                the Parramatta Cycleways Committee met last night ( 2/3/2010) and several issues were discussed. The focus on cycleways at the moment is to fill in some of the missing links & we should see some progress in that area shortly.

The Council is also looking at doing a stock take of its cycling infrastructure. They want to know what is out there & what condition it is in. Myfanwy Lawrence, Project Officer for Transport & Planning is conducting the survey. This is not a wish list of what you want, it is a survey of what is already there. Myfanwy has developed a spread sheet that she will be forwarding to Cycleways Committee Members shortly & has asked that responses be collated by CAMWEST before sending them to Council.

The information needed will be the exact location ( including a UBD Map reference) such as street name, and start & finish points, what is there, what condition it is in & what needs to be done to improve it. Photographs would also be appreciated. The information will be used to formulate maintenance plans & to update the current cycling maps of Parramatta.

There was discussion on the M2 Upgrade & its closure to cyclists for two years during the upgrade. There is more information available on the Bike North Website  http://www.bikenorth.org.au/     An alternative route has been devised, just follow the link to the M2 Widening Project..

CAMWEST is involved  in conjunction with the Riverstone & District Lions Club in the planning for the Inaugural Ride2Riverstone Festival on 15 May 2010 http://ride2riverstone.com.au/ . We need some volunteers for the day and heaps of riders. This will be a multi distance ride over 10, 25, 30, 80 & 100 Kms. A great ride through rural North West of Sydney covering similar areas as the Tour de Hills, but certainly not the same route.

Visit our website to see some of the upcoming rides. Paul Bowyer is running his very popular & informative Parramatta Heritage Ride on Sunday 28 March 2010 commencing at 0800 hrs at the Tudor Gates, George St entrance to Parramatta Park. This is a very informative 4 hour ride through Parramatta's historical past. Bring the Kids, bring Aunty Mary, all they need is a thirst for knowledge & a bicycle & helmet.

Also, our most active ( almost only) ride leader will be introducing us to the Ride2Riverstone Festival route on Saturday 17 April 2010. You will have the option of riding the 80 Km loop or for the faint hearted, a 26 km option.

The Super Tuesday Bike Count was held on (surprisingly) Tuesday 2 March 2010. I was counting at the intersection of Thomas Street & James Ruse Drive & had a pleasing 50 Riders come through the point in the 2 hours from 0700 to 0900. We were outnumbered by pedestrians & the weather was not totally conducive to cycling. Numbers were down a bit across the city, but there were some very pleasing numbers in the city.