[CAMWEST-announce] Fwd: Parramatta City Council is seeking your comments regarding the proposed cycle route linking the M4 cycle route with the Camellia and Clyde industrial areas.

John Holstein jonhol2 at netscape.net
Thu Mar 18 18:10:14 EST 2010

FellowCAMWESTies

Do you commute through or to the Camellia Peninsula? Do you work on the Camellia Peninsula & would like to ride? Then have a look at the email below.

 Parramatta City Council is calling for submissions on a proposal to upgrade cycling facilities into the Camellia Peninsula. That is where the Shell Refinery and a large number of other heavy industries operate near the Parramatta CBD.

Council is looking for ways to reduce vehicular flow into the peninsula as heavy transport increases. Patricks operate a container terminal in here & there has been a marked increase in rail traffic, which then translates to an increase in heavy transport to move the containers in and out of the area making cycling both an attractive and unattractive option. Attractive because it speeds up trips & lowers traffic volumes, unattractive, because it makes a potentially dangerous mix of heavy traffic & cycles.

The plan is on display at Councils Offices in Parramatta & there are links to the plan below. Also, here is a link to a bikely page I created to give you an idea of the location.
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Proposed-Camellia-Peninsula-Route

The proposal links to the existing cycle path that runs under the M4 & has the potential to link easily to Clyde & Granville Railway Stations. It also provides a safe link into the Peninsula which leads to the Thackeray Street Bridge & the Parramatta Valley Cycleway.

My suggestion is to consider a separated cycle path in the area.

Please take the time to have a look and make a submission to Council.