[CAMWEST-announce] CAMWEST News

John Holstein jonhol2 at netscape.net
Thu Jun 17 16:10:47 EST 2010

Fellow CAMWESTies,

Please take the time to read all of this email as there are some immportant issues regarding CAMWEST that need to be addressed.

INCORPORATION.
At present we are a fairly ad-hoc group of interested people who carry out a range of activities under the CAMWEST banner. This is fine & the loose nature of our organisation has suited our activities & I am proud to say we have achieved many goals in promoting cycling in the west & north west of Sydney. Thank you to those of you who work silently under our banner.

However, society progresses or regresses, depending on how you look at things and insurance issues have forced our hand & CAMWEST now has a need to be Incorporated. In the very near future, Bicycle NSW Inc will no longer consider us as part of the Bicycle User Group Network under their insurance cover unless we are incorporated. This will require us to have a formal Constitution, an elected Board & a roll of members. It will also require some annual reporting & a need to hold regular meetings. Therefore, I am looking for someone who has had involvement in this process before with a group similar to CAMWEST to help guide us through this procedure. It appears fairly painless, but someone with experience in the process would be a great help. If you are that person, please call me on 0410662390 or 96862391.

COMING EVENTS:

BRAINS TRUST:

BikeEast recently ran a short 1 to 2 hour presentation on items presented at recent cycling forums, both here in Australia & overseas. They have agreed to make the same presentation to us at Parramatta. This presentation will be of interest to anyone with a desire to see cycling progress as a legitimate recreational, sporting or commuting activity. It would also be of benefit to those involved in the design, construction & promotion of cycling facilities, such as Local Government, Police, traffic planners etc,. I intend to distribute invitations to all of the Parramatta City Councillors & interested staff as well as similar people from neighbouring councils. It will also be open to oi=interested members of the public to attend.

Details are tentative at this stage but here are some details:

DATE: Wednesday 4 August 2010

TIME: 6pm for a 6.30pm start

VENUE: Parramatta Town Hall, Church St, Parramatta.

There will be three presenters & time for discussion and questions afterwards.

PARRACAN & 350.ORG.     http://www.350.org/mission

There is a heap of information on the link above to tell you all about 350.org, but basically it refers to the level of CO2 in our atmosphere that we need to achieve to reverse the effects of global warming.

Local Environment Group PARRACAN ( Parramatta Climate Action Network) wish to hold an event on  Sunday 10/10/2010 to promote the ideals of 350.org. They are in the planning stages at this time, but one idea they are exploring is to have cyclists ride 350 laps of Parramatta Park in conjunction with other events on the day. Now don't get out your calculators & write back & tell me that is slightly more than 1,120 kilometres. The idea is to do it in total, so 1 rider, 350 laps each, 10 riders, 35 laps each, 100 riders 3.5 laps each, or the ultimate goal, 350 riders doing 1 lap each. I will be riding, so come along & save me from doing 350 laps of the Parramatta Park.

CHEAP BICYCLE HELMETS:

Bicycle NSW have a number of Netti Bicycle Helmets that they would like to dispose of before the end of the financila year. Orders have to be placed through your Affiliated BUG, so if you are interested, give me a call on 0410662390 as soon as possible. They can only be ordered by the Club President. You can view the helmets here https://www.clubsonline.com.au/shop/index.cfm?fuseaction=Display_Product_Listing&CategoryID=1412&Title=Apparel&OrgID=3380  They will be selling for $15.00 ( normally $25 & $35.00) Gear Up Girl is the cheaper helmet.

SECURE BICYCLE PARKING IN PARRAMATA:

Look for announcements in the local press & elsewhere soon for the official opening of two brand new secure bicycle parking facilities in Parramatta. Parramatta City Council have constructed a secure cage in the Erby Place & Horwood Place Carparks that will accommodate a total of 40 bicycles. Lockers, showers & toilets will also be available for use by subscribers to the secure parking. Fees will be announced soon, but are likely to be around $1.00 per day. So, if you already commute or wish to commute to Parramatta by bicycle & don't have secure facilities at your work place, here is an opportunity to get in on the ground floor. In the meantime, drop in & have a look. Both areas are on the ground floor, just follow the green painted road.

RIDE LEADERS:

Bicycle NSW is also revamping its Ride Leader Training & very soon they will beholding refresher courses for existing ride leaders. If you have already completed the Ride Leader Training, I need to know certain things :

Name, Address, Bicycle NSW Membership Number & expiry & the year you completed your training ( Approx)

If you would like to become a ride leader, there will be a course run shortly, can't find the exact date, but give BNSW a call on 02 9704 0800 & get some details. There may be an opportunity for CAMWEST to subsidise this course as well (*conditions will apply)

Thanks for your patience,