[CAMWEST-announce] Demise of CAMWEST?

Nick Urbanik nicku at nicku.org
Sun Jul 11 11:29:31 EST 2010

Dear John,

On 10/07/10 09:11 -0400, John Holstein wrote:
>Hello fellow CAMWESTIES,
>
>please take some time to visit this thread on Sydney Cyclist
>
>http://www.sydneycyclist.com/forum/topics/advocacy-in-the-workplace-so?page=1&>commentId=1321712%3AComment%3A168530&x=1#1321712Comment168530
>
>The start of the thread by Rob & subsequent comment by Streetsweeper,
>(Phil) prompted me to think about the future of CAMWEST. I realise
>that many of us lead very busy lives and find it difficult to
>dedicate time to a lot of separate issues, but several recent
>requests for assistance have resulted in almost negligible response.

I'm sorry to hear that.  It must be quite disheartening.

>My recent call for assistance with incorporation prompted
>only one response & that was from another group with a totally
>different focus.

http://camwest.pps.com.au/news/news-june-2010.shtml#incorporation
I don't think any of us have experience with the legalities and
technicalities of incorporation.

>To say I was disappointed is a slight understatement & has lead me to
>think that there is a need to either revive CAMWEST or let the group
>go into recess for a time.
>
>I will continue to advocate for better cycling facilities, but under
>my own name, but to continue CAMWEST without adequate support is
>becoming more difficult as time goes on as we don't even have an
>active management team at present.

As you pointed out in
http://camwest.pps.com.au/news/news-may-2010.shtml#thanks
at least a few people are doing some worthwhile things.
Also Mark Robson has been writing thought-provoking articles:
http://camwest.pps.com.au/advocacy/bike-train-bike.shtml
And sometimes even I spend some time updating the website :-)

The ride to Riverstone
http://camwest.pps.com.au/news/news-may-2010.shtml#ride2riverstone
was a major achievement with such a
surprisingly large number of people riding (over 460!).  Kudos to all
who are prepared to take on the challenge of organising events like
that.

I am grateful for the excellent work you have done in advocating
for cycling, and I know that many more people would like to offer you
their heartiest thanks for your fruitful efforts.
Nick Urbanik             http://nicku.org           nicku at nicku.org