[CAMWEST-announce] Parramatta Valley Cycleway, Incorporation & Bike Route Surveys

John Holstein jonhol2 at netscape.net
Fri Oct 29 18:07:14 EST 2010

Fellow CAMWESTies,
                               I rode the Parramatta Valley Cycleway today ( North side of Parramatta River from Parramatta to Silverwater Bridge). There are some exciting developments going on along there. Firstly, the area of path in the University of Western Sydney that was gravel has been resurfaced with hot mix & is now an excellent riding surface. The work was carried out after a letter was forwarded from CAMWEST outlining a range of complaints that had been made. There was also some approaches made by Students & staff of UWS & together we appear to have succeeded in getting the work done. This certainly makes that section safer for road bikes & the annoying drop off from the concrete no longer exists. mI have written an email of thanks to Professor Reid, the Vice Chancellor of the UWS>

Work appears to be progressing on other areas of the path along the Parramatta River & expect to see some new sections of path opening soon. This route will be scenic & a shared path between Clyde St & Park St & serious riders & commuters will probably still continue to ride along South Street. However, the less adventurous & confident will  have a pleasant alternative along that section. I am unsure of the time frame, but tenders for sections of the work have been advertised & a lot of remedial work has been done. Just a reminder, the path along the M4 from Parramatta to Homebush is also a very pleasant ride, although not as scenic as the north side of the river.

If you are not aware, the RTA has a project underway at the moment to attempt to map popular bike routes throughout NSW. Visit this website www.mybikeroute.info to input your bike routes. Don;t assume your favourite route is in there. I guess the more entries they get for a particular  route, the more chance it has of going on the maps that will be produced as a result. The routes will be audited & if you are interested in being an auditor,send an email to mybikeroute at gta.com.au expressing your interest and area that you could audit. Unfortunately the website is a bit difficult to use, so read the instructions well. It is apparently easier to put your route in in small chunks & make detailed comments as you go. This is a great initiative & gives us a chance to nominate where we are actually riding, so log your favourite commuting, recreational or shopping routes.

A final draft of the proposed constitution for CAMWEST Bicycle User Group INC has been put on our website (Thanks Nick for all your efforts there) I have only received comments back from three members at this time, so I am assuming everyone is happy with the document. Should you wish to comment, please do so as soon as possible. It is important that we proceed to Incorporation as soon as possible as it has ramifications for our insurance. It is also an important step, because it will also allow us to apply for grants for future works & projects.

I will be sending out a notice for an Annual General Meeting shortly as we are required to hold one as part of the Incorporation process where we elect Officials such as President, Secretary & Chairman & set membership fees.