[CAMWEST-announce] What's happening

John Holstein jonhol2 at netscape.net
Wed Nov 3 12:05:52 EST 2010

Fellow CAMWESTies,
                                just a quick update on a few things that have occurred or are going to happen.

Firstly: Thanks to those members who have given me feedback on the proposed constitution for CAMWEST Bicycle User Group Inc. They were all very valid points & I will be collating them & including them in what I hope, will be the final draft. That should be done by the end of this week, possibly Sunday, so if you have any further suggestions or comments, the current version is on our website (Thanks Nick).

Second: We will need to hold an AGM & fill some committee positions. They will be Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary, Treasurer, Ride Co-ordinator & Publicity Officer. They can be combined positions, but it would be nice to have a separate person for each position. I hope to hold an AGM in early December & combine it with a ride. Suggestions for venue & ride welcome.

We have been quietly involved in a few activities of late. The Brains Trust Presentation by BikeSydney was well received & attended by about 35 people, including some Parramatta Councilors & Staff.

We were also involved in a joint venture with ParraCAN, our local Climate Action Group where we held an awareness event in Parramatta Park on 10/10/10 in conjunction with 350.org day. About 110 riders registered to ride 350 symbolic laps of Parramatta Park & the day appeared to be very well received. It was a pleasure to work with ParraCAN on this event as they were very committed to their cause. Our thanks also to all the stallholders & Parramatta Park Trust for their support. There are some great photos from the day here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/seet_net_au/sets/72157625132184342/

The Riverstone & District Lions Club will be holding their second Ride2Riverstone event on Sunday 1 May 2011. Some details are here:
http://ride2riverstone.com.au/?page_id=252

We are looking for Volunteers, Sponsors, Organisers & Riders. in 2010, we had over 450 riders participate. In 2011 we hope to attract 800 riders. Watch out for announcements for team entry discounts & incentives.

Parramatta Council has been busy lately with some very nice improvements to our cycling infrastructure. A new section of path now connects Goliath Ave Winston Hills with the Old Windsor Road Cycle path. Check it out, it is amazing what a difference a small section of path & some landscaping has done for the area. They have also joined Goliath Ave to Barnetts Road & repainted signage on Barnetts Rd. Mr McIndoe now has his own personal marked cycleway past his front door. It resembles an aircraft runway & is a very good example of what should be best practice. Goliath avenue is a nice piece of road for cycling & there is a new section that joins Goliath to Barnetts as well, making it a nice safe route. Some work on Moxhams Rd would be nice to complete the very good work already done.

Work is underway on the path connecting Clyde St Rydalmere to John St Wharf & should be completed in the near future. This will be a scenic route along the river foreshore and will complete an offroad path all the way from James Ruse Drive to Silverwater Bridge. I know of some regular cyclists from around the Olympic precinct that are looking forward to it opening so they can expand their cycling horizons into Parramatta with an off road safe route. You can see an example of what is to come at the end of Park St Rydalmere, past the Australia Post Site.

Council also hosted ride to work day on Wed 13/10/10 which saw almost 70 riders stop for breakfast & a chat. Good to see some CAMWEST faces there. Thanks to Myfanwy & Dave & their team for their work and also to the Councilors who attended, for their support.

The Children's Hospital Westmead also hosted a very successful Ride to Work day event by all accounts with demonstrations by the Police Bicycle Squad & a range of other activities. It is great to see this workplace BUG doing so much at Westmead. They are a great example of what can be achieved in the workplace with some committed people taking action. Good work to all those involved.