[CAMWEST-announce] Super Tuesday Bike Counts & other news.

John Holstein jonhol2 at netscape.net
Thu Jan 6 21:16:07 EST 2011

Fellow CAMWESTies,
                              Welcome to 2011. I hope all of you have survived the Christmas New Year break & have arrived at your holiday & home destinations safely.

I will be dropping off our application for Incorporation to Fair Trading on Friday 7/1/11. More information on that as it comes to hand. 2011 is shaping up as a busy & productive year already.

There are a few events happening this year that may be of interest to you:

 The Amy Gillett Foundation will be hosting the Parra Pedal on 13 February  2011.

Bicycle NSW will be holding a Gear up Girl workshop on 26 February 2011. These are female specific events, usually accompanied by a breakfast where you can learn a range of cycling skills. Bicycle NSW appear to be moving forward at a great rate under their new CEO Omar Kalifeh, which is very encouraging for cycling. They have also launched a new forum site here: http://community.bicyclensw.org.au/ The site is a forum where you can ask questions, announce events, discuss items of interest etc,
The Ride To Riverstone Loop will be back on again on Sunday 1 may 2011. Another chance to challenge yourself over distances of 30,50, 80 & 100 km.

                               The super Tuesday Bike Counts are on again this year on Tuesday 1 March 2011. Parramatta is the only Western Sydney Council area participating. Last year, many spots went begging for counters due to a lack of volunteers.

Registrations open soon, so jump in quick to secure a location that suits you to count. As an incentive you will receive a free T-shirt & you will be able to nominate a BUG or charity as a recipient of a $50-00 donation for your work.

All you need is two spare hours between 0700 & 0900 on Tue 1/3/2011. The information from this survey is disseminated to the relevant councils & adds weight to the need for further cycling infrastructure in our area.

Last year I counted at the intersection of Thomas St & James Ruse Drive ( Near the underpass to UWS). Weather was not ideal, but I still counted a total of fifty riders using that path. There were about 6 locations that had no counters.

If you are not able to count on that date, please ensure you ride & pass through at least one of the counting locations. I will distribute them to you when they become available.

In the meantime, visit http://www.bv.com.au/general/bike-futures/92039/ for more information.