[CAMWEST-announce] New Initiatives from Bicycle NSW

John Holstein jonhol2 at netscape.net
Fri Jan 7 19:51:26 EST 2011

Fellow CAMWESTies,
                                as of today, CAMWEST became an Incorporated Association which is officially known as CAMWEST BICYCLE USER GROUP INC. What this means basically now is that if we are sued for damages each member is only liable for the amount of their membership fees, which at present is NIL. There are some reporting responsibilities that come with Incorporation, but basically nothing will change, except the official name.

As part of the Incorporation process, we have also become an affiliated Bicycle User Group with Bicycle NSW, which provides us with Public Liability Insurance Cover for any events run under the CAMWEST Banner. This has been the case in the past, but it has recently been  made an official requirement of BNSW that we be Incorporated to receive that cover.

There are some areas of good news from this process. Bicycle NSW are meeting some of the costs on Incorporation and will also provide rebates to CAMWEST for any new members we recruit to Bicycle NSW. (See how at the end of this email)

I have been watching the activities of BNSW closely since my resignation from their Board several years ago & it is now my opinion the organisation is heading in a positive direction, especially since the appointment of Omar Kalifeh as the CEO. I urge you to look at what they are doing on the advocacy front in particular. Omar appears to be taking a very active approach in his interactions with Government and its many agencies, particularly the RTA. I might add, these are my opinions only and not the opinions of CAMWEST or its individual members. Take the time to have a look at both their website http://bicyclensw.org.au/  and online community http://community.bicyclensw.org.au/. to see what is happening with BNSW.

Now for the good news. For every new individual  member( never been a member before) or lapsed member (membership lapsed for 12 months or more)recruited by a Bicycle User Group, Bicycle NSW will provide a rebate to that BUG of $10-00, either in cash or product. A rebate of $5-00 will be given for family membership ( a hefty discount already applies to family membership). All you have to do is have the person enter the code  CAM 4876 on their nomination form in the space provided. It's as easy as that.