[CAMWEST-announce] An update & some events

John Holstein jonhol2 at netscape.net
Sun Aug 14 22:08:42 EST 2011

Fellow CAMWESTies,
                               I attended the Bicycle NSW Ride Leader Training today as a volunteer & assisted while 14 new ride leaders were assessed. We now have one more trained ride leader for CAMWEST, congratulations to Colin Bowd on his successful completion of the assessment. I was quite impressed with Colin's assessment. I participated in four assessments & Colin was among the best I saw. I hope to see him brushing up his skills in the next few months & running his own rides in the near future. Colin is a competent road rider & brings new skills to our current puddle of ride leaders ( Not quite big enough to be a pool).

Whilst at the training, there was some discussion about Paul Bowyer's Heritage Ride - I was eavesdropping on the conversation & all the comments were very positive & unsolicited. Congratulations & thanks Paul for running a very informative & enjoyable ride. Keep a look out for his next ride. These are suitable for the most inexperienced rider & capture a glimpse of Parramatta's colourful white heritage.

Rob Kemp is also very prolific in his ride leading at the moment, making the most of the pleasant late winter weather. Unfortunately he had to postpone today's (14/8/11) Olympic Park Meander, but it is on again next Sunday. Give Rob a call to confirm your attendance & also that the ride is going ahead.

We are again involved in the organising of ParraCAN's (Parramatta Climate Action Network) .350 Org ride to be held in September. - details below. We are looking for at least 350 riders to complete a symbolic lap of Parramatta Park to raise awareness of the need to nurture our environment. We don't care if you believe in climate change or not - if you do come along & loend your voice, if you don't come along & debate your case with ParraCAN Members

ABOUT
http://parracan.org/
http://www.parracan.org/events/53-350org-bike-ride-round-parramatta-regional-park.html

REGO HERE
http://www.parracan.org/events/98-350org-bike-a-picnic-registration-form.html
It's going to be big, bike ride + picnic
For the 3rd year in a row, ParraCAN + CAMWEST are hosting the local Parramatta piece of the Global Day of action on getting back to the safe climate level of 350. Last year over 2,500 groups participated around the globe. And, this year, bigger again. The event will be in Parramatta Park on Sat 24th September 2011.
Come and enjoy Cool displays, giveaways, live music, great food, info stalls, drums and choir. Picnic with friends and family while you enjoy the community gathering, and sustainable living.
Come and ride a lap for our environment, chill out in the #chai_media_tent, talk with a #climate_scientist, help create some awesome recycling #Artworks.

Bring a team for the bike ride, (all ages and ability) register for free online here:-
http://www.parracan.org/events/98-350org-bike-a-picnic-registration-form.html

09:00 to 10:30 Bike Riding
10:30 to 11:00 Group Photo
11:00 to 12:00 Bike Riding
12:00 to 2:00 Picnic

You'll find us near the Dairy. Entering from the main gate and follow the road around to the centre of Parramatta Park and you'll see us at the Dairy Precinct!

Facebook Updates
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=140146652731004

John Holstein
Chairperson of CAMWEST (http://camwest.pps.com.au) advocating for better cycling infrastructure for Sydney's West.