[CAMWEST-announce] Super Tuesday Bike Count & ride

John Holstein jonhol2 at netscape.net
Thu Mar 1 07:58:42 EST 2012

Hi Sussanah,
                  welcome to the CAMWEST list. We use the lists to communicate some of what is going on within the group & also to answer questions or solve problems. Feel free to send your own messages etc if you need to.

Super Tuesday Bike Counts are an initiative of the Bicycle Network, formerly Bicycle Victoria. Local Government areas across Australia pay to have bicycle numbers counted at certain locations between the hours of 7am & 9am . There will be numerous counters around Parramatta. I will be at the corner of Phillip & Smith Streets. All counters will be wearing an orange T-shirt. Some LGA's also have afternoon counts.

The programme is designed to give a visual snapshot of bicycle traffic entering Parramatta (and a heap of other places) on a particular day. It is combined with information from four permanent electronic counters around Parramatta and assists Parramatta City Council in identifying cycle routes into & through Parramatta.

Permanent counters are in position on the Parramatta Valley Cycleway near Rheem, on the Elizabeth St Bridge (Oar Bridge) over the Parramatta River, near the M4 at Harris Park (still under installation I think) & on Darcy Road at Hawkesbury near the Westmead Hospital. You will notice a pole with a solar panel attached & two discreet strips across the path about 30cm apart

Please say hi to the counters(the people, not the auto ones) as you pass us on Tuesday morning & feel free to stop & have a chat if you have time.

Also, don't forget the ride to Rouse Hill for coffee if you have some free time.