[CAMWEST-announce] Military Dispatch Ride

John Holstein jonhol2 at netscape.net
Mon May 21 22:13:06 EST 2012

Fellow CAMWESTies,
                               Over the past couple of months I have been loosely associated with the planning of a re-enactment of the 1912 Military Dispatch Ride from Adelaide to Sydney via Melbourne. Last week Omar Khalifa, his wif Barbara & several others drove to Adelaide & have been doing a survey of the original route. Omar has detailed some of their adventure here on Sydney Cyclist.

It is a great read and hopefully the event will get off the ground sometime around October 2013 ( we were too late to contemplate organising something for this year). Have a quick look and imagine the ride from Adelaide to Sydney Via Melbourne on a 1912 model bike on mainly dirt tracks over a period of 70 hours. The ride was a relay of some 63 stages carried out in pairs, a classic tale of endurance and persevereance.

More information on the original rides in 1909 & 1912 here