[CAMWEST-announce] the portals in the Lennox Bridge

John Holstein jonhol2 at netscape.net
Tue Nov 6 16:28:23 EST 2012

Mark,
          I agree there are alternatives to the portals, but this is not a cyclist only issue. By creating the portals, it opens up the Parramatta River Foreshore from James Ruse Drive to Parramatta Park for all types of users, wheel chairs, prams, joggers, mobility scooters, walkers etc, and will ultimately create a linear park with an uninterrupted shared path from Sydney Olympic Park to Parramatta Park, a boon for recreational users of all types & a great tourist attraction. Perhaps the completion of the portals may also kick start the rest of the work required to complete the link.

I can see the point made by June Bullivant in an earlier email to this forum as well regarding the portals going back within the building alignment, but that could create flood issues etc,.  Some of the early drawings of the Bridge by Lennox show he considered portals, what a pity he didn't include them then.