[CAMWEST-announce] Cycleways Committee Hawkesbury City Council

John Holstein jonhol2 at netscape.net
Thu Jun 27 01:59:50 UTC 2013

Dear Mr Ford,
                     it has come to my notice council have decided not to proceed with a Cycling Advisory Committee and the news is a great disappointment to me.

Your Council actively promotes cycling as an activity to promote healthy lifestyles and actively encourages children to cycle,  through a variety of activities, yet you choose not to have any input from the community into this activity.

I have dealt with your council for the past four years as part of the organising committee for the Annual Ride 2 Riverstone Bicycle ride which traverses parts of your LGA and I have found the attitude of your staff I had to deal with to be very anti cycling and at times obstructive in granting permission to hold an event. I am also aware that the large number of restrictions placed on your local Triathlon Club resulted in them holding their event in another Council Area.

I cycle within your LGA several times a year and encourage others to do so as there is an excellent shared path which follows old Windsor Road right into the Windsor CBD. My small group of 3 to 5 riders then spend around $15-00 each in a local café before leaving to return home. I know for a fact that several other Bicycle User Groups and individuals do similar rides, thus injecting tourist dollars into you community. However, once we arrive at Windsor, it becomes difficult to find a route to any other business precinct such as Richmond or North Richmond due to connectivity issues with existing paths as well as a lack of designated shared off road paths. I know it doesn't sound like a lot of money, but it may be the difference between viability or closure for a marginal business. At present there are no figures available from the RMS for cycle visits to your LGA, but similar areas such as The M7 Cycleway are currently attracting over 400 riders per day, a significant number of people looking fro refreshment at the end of 30 or 40 kilometres of riding.

The input of the local cycling community can be invaluable to Council, resulting in many hours of volunteer work as surveys are carried out of possible routes, difficulties identified & the activity is actively promoted. CAMWEST has had member in your area for over 25 years providing cycling advice, therefore some of your cycling advocates pre date all of your councillors by many years and you choose not to harness this valuable resource.

Blacktown Council are being more proactive in their approach, requiring cycle access through new developments which border your LGA which will result in shared paths simply ending at the Council boundary, therefore rendering that expenditure virtually worthless.

I really think it was time for council to reconsider its stance on cycling as a transport, health and recreational activity, although I am aware of your statements regarding your support, or lack of for cycling in your LGA.