[CAMWEST-announce] (no subject)

John Holstein jonhol2 at netscape.net
Fri Jul 5 11:50:23 UTC 2013

Fellow CAMWESTies,

                                I had the pleasure of accompanying one of
our founding fathers of CAMWEST, Ian McIndoe,  on a tour of the Parramatta
Valley Cycle Way yesterday (4th July 2013). Those of you who know Ian will
recall he usually rides an electric assist bike, but after some electrical
difficulties, he has traded it for a very nice Giant Defy road bike & as a
result is 'back on his bike' in a big way. We covered close to 50Km yesterday, a
sterling effort. Well done Ian.
    But, this is not the real news. Ian is rather well versed in cycling
advocacy & is also well connected and as a result we enjoyed the company of some
others for the ride. Matt Faber,(Manager Bus Light Rail Active Transport
Strategy                     at       Transport for NSW) joined us as did Tony
Arnold (BNSW) & Robert Mueck & Myfanwy Lawrence from Parramatta City Council. We
cycled the Parramatta Valley , travelling out along the very unattractive but
practical M4 Cycle path before heading into Homebush Bay for coffee. We then
continued through the Park & visited BNSW new premises before heading through
Rhodes & Meadowbank and joining the Parramatta Valley Cycleway and returning to
Parramatta.
    Ian had not seen many of the improvements made to this route in the past few
years so we visited the Ermington Bay raised pathway before continuing on to the
almost complete new section at the end of Park Road Rydalmere which will pass
under the Sydney Water Pipeline thus eliminating the trip up to Antoine St
before returning down Park Rd to rejoin the current path towards Pike Street. We
had the pleasure of being the first cyclists on the path even though it wasn't
officially open. This is a very welcome short addition to this wonderful path.
    We then viewed the proposals for the next two projects - the section from
James Ruse Drive to Morton Street past the Baludarri Wetlands into Rangihou
Reserve where it will join a much under utilised path to MacArthur St. This
section should be completed in this financial year ( 2013/14) and will eliminate
Thomas St from the current route. The following financial year (2014/15) should
see a further link completed under the Gasworks Bridge to Parramatta Ferry
Wharf.
    The plans have been drawn to complete the last leg of this wonderful link
between Parramatta & Homebush Bay, but funding is yet to be forthcoming. This
section is between the existing path that comes to a dead end at the rear of the
factories along the river at Rydalmere to the exiting path where it joins the
intersection of Clyde and South Street. It must also be noted, the construction
of the long awaited portals in the Lennox Bridge at Parramatta will start in the
near future. Some correspondence with your local members for Parramatta - Dr
Geoff Lee (State Liberal) and Julie Owens (Federal Labor) may bring a favourable
response for this project.
    All of the participants in the ride were suitably impressed with the
achievements of the Transport Planning Team at Parramatta City Council.
Congratulations to them for their determination and hard work acquiring the
monies to complete these projects. There are some wonderful examples of
engineering work within these projects and the quality of the completed work is
excellent. There are also strategies being planned for some of the drainage
issues along the path especially in the Rydalmere Wharf area.
    If you have a chance & have not visited the Parramatta valley Cycle Way for
a while, get out & ride it in the near future, this weekend even.