[CAMWEST-announce] Super Tuesday Counters

John Holstein jonhol2 at netscape.net
Mon Mar 24 11:38:45 UTC 2014

Fellow CAMWESTies,
                                   unfortunately in the lead up to Super Tuesday, these lists appeared to be malfunctioning as I was not receiving notification of my posts to the list. Therefore I am not aware of how many of you counted as CAMWEST Supporters. As part of the process, your nominated charity or organisation needs to invoice the Bicycle Network to receive their $50-00 donation for your efforts.

Could you please let me know if you nominated CAMWEST as a recipient of your donation as soon as possible. Likewise, if you nominated the Children's Hospital BUG, as I hope many of you did, could you please let them know of your contribution so they can invoice the Bicycle Network?

On another note, don't forget that we now maintain a Facebook Page HERE where you can find out about current events and cycling related news that has been gleaned from his internet thingy we are burdened with. It is an open group & anyone can contribute photos, articles or opinions to the pages. We have a few moderators monitoring the page, so any derogatory or inappropriate comments  will hopefully be swiftly removed. Head over if you are n Facebook, "Like" our page & join in the conversations, or just prowl about & see what is happening. We are slowly building numbers & getting some positive visitor numbers. Don't be bashful (or any one of the other six dwarves) & drop in for a visit & make a comment.

In other news, our resident historian & story teller, Paul Bowyer has a quartet of rides & event set out for the near future starting with his popular & informative Heritage Ride on Sunday 30 March 2013.his will be followed by an interesting talk by Author & Bicycle Historian Jim Fitzpatrick at Elizabeth Farm House on Friday 4 April 2014. If that is not enough culture & Heritage for you, then you can join Paul on one of two (or both) of his Australia's Oldest Buildings Rides on 27 April or 18 May 2014. Paul would prefer if you made a booking as places a re limited on all events & you can do that by VISITING THIS PAGE where you will find links to the booking page & more information on all the events.

At least two of our members, Rob & Michael are working very hard towards making this year's  RIDE 2 RIVERSTONE a great success. This is set down for Sunday 4 May 2014 and I know they would be eternally grateful for any number of volunteers to assist in the planning & running of the event. They will need marshals, catering assistants, cashiers, general assistants & most importantly RIDERS on the day. Make it a family affair, if you have a partner, sibling or distant cousin three times removed riding in the event, come along, volunteer & cheer them along the course. I won't be there this year as I have an epic ride planned from Dubbo to Bright via Echuca & Albury.

In addition to all this, CAMWEST members are also active in many Local Government Areas with advocacy work for cycling. Yu don't hear much about what we are doing at times but we have a very strong representation on the Parramatta Council's Cycling Committee & we have members working with council in Blacktown, Holroyd, The Hills, Hawkesbury , Penrith & Blue Mountains Councils.

Many of you may have ridden the Parramatta Valley Cycleway recently & noticed and enjoyed the new section near Rydalmere Wharf which passes under the water pipeline. Council have installed a counter on the path & the average figures for cycles passing through that section have consistently been averaging 10,000 (yes TEN THOUSAND) cyclists per month. Now who thinks we aren't using our infrastructure. There is a steady mix of commuters & possible recreational figures & the counts indicate a relatively even amount of traffic in each direction. A very interesting count was the Australia Day Holiday (27/1/14) when 697 cyclist activated the counter. That is the equivalent of over 9 full bus loads of people, a very impressive result. In the meantime, work has commenced on the Portals through the Lennox Bridge & construction of the path from James Ruse Drive through the Balludari Wetlands to join the path leading on to McArthur St near the Gasworks Bridge. These works should be completed before the end of the year.