[CAMWEST-announce] Fwd: NSW Labor BUG Roundtable

. jonhol2 at netscape.net
Mon Dec 22 03:18:15 UTC 2014

Hi Chloe,
             here is my take on the meeting from notes I took. I had been waiting for Doug Stewart to comment before I posted mine.

John Richardson was present to represent BNSW as was Peter Lee , new BNSW Board member & President of the Newcastle Cycleways Movement& the BUGS were very well represented at the meeting. There was also discussion regarding pedestrian interaction & the need to change the ARR's regarding children over 12 years of age riding on footpaths. Both Callum's & my précis are very brief notes & there is a need to further pursue cycling as an issue in the next election.

About 16 people attended this meeting with Representation from Bike Sydney, Bike North, CAMWEST, Easy Riders, Newcastle Cycleways Movement, Bike East, Canada Bay, Bike Leichhardt and John Richardson, Vice President of Bicycle NSW. My apologies if I have missed a BUG, as my hearing is not always as good as it should be. The Labor candidate for Balmain, verity Firth was also in attendance.

As reported by Doug from Bike North, we were asked to introduce ourselves and nominate 3 areas of concern for cycling in NSW. Our answers were remarkably similar and I believe we conveyed a strong message to Ms Sharpe regarding cycling issues.

The key points raised were:-

Education:  for both drivers and cyclists and that theme was built on throughout the conversation to include education at school level, more cycling specific  questions in licence testing, behavioural change strategies aimed at driver attitudes. School education programmes were raised as was the need to support programmes such as CARES. Education programmes also for Public Transport Drivers (Bus/Taxi) .

Connecting Infrastructure:  The current situation of bike lanes simply ending was raised as was issues of local networks  and the lack of connectivity of many bike paths.

Cycling Infrastructure:  Design of Cycling infrastructure and the need to push for compliance with Austroads Pt 14 https://www.onlinepublications.austroads.com.au/items/AP-11-14-99  when designing and implementing cycling infrastructure. Points raised re cycle crossings on slip lanes joining major roads and "squeeze points" on all roads. Any new transport infrastructure to include ALL road users at the design and construction stage. The concept of "Veloways" was mentioned, uninterrupted cycle ways separated from roads. Suggestions that all Commercial Development Applications  have mandatory end of trip facilities for cyclists

Cycling Funding: This point was raised quite often and it was stressed we need to move towards a greater base of funding for cycling infrastructure. Suggestions were "Quantum Funding" that is a huge injection of funding into cycling. Changing the funding models to Local Government Areas(LGA's) to encourage more building of infrastructure. The current model is generally on a 50/50 basis& it was suggested this would be more effective with an 80/20 model (State Gov't/ LGA) and in cases of major works encompassing several LGA's, entirely State Funded.

Cultural Change:  This suggestion appeared in many attendees comments and ranged from education packages at school level, driver education in the form of mandatory cycle questions in licence tests, credit for drivers licence applicants who complete an accredited cycling course through to attitudinal change of legislators, Road builders (RMS) and Local Government Traffic Committees where infrastructure projects are mainly decided on by Police & RMS . There were suggestions re the comments of "Shock Jocks" , such as Derryn Hinch and his "Cockroach" comments about cyclists which inflame the relationship between cyclists and certain drivers.

Comments were raised regarding Court decisions when drivers are before them as a result of collisions with cyclists and also the attitude of some Police when investigating accidents involving cyclists and motorists.