[CAMWEST-announce] Fwd: [bugcouncil] BNSW Council - Update

. jonhol2 at netscape.net
Mon Dec 22 23:38:07 UTC 2014

Fellow CAMWESTies,
                                  here is an email from Graeme Edwards, Board Member of BNSW. It was obvious from comments at the BNSW AGM that the Board has finally realised the value of Bicycle user Groups (BUGs) in advocacy & cycling promotion. There has been a BUG Council for some time now, but quite often participation and discussion is fairly limited. Meetings are held via phone in on a bi Monthly basis.

To date, I have been the CAMWEST contact & although I receive all correspondence and participated in email conversations, I have not participated in phone in meetings If anyone associated with CAMWEST would like to assume the role of our representative on this sub committee of BNSW please let me know of your interest. This is an interesting role & has the potential to achieve results. I intend to be absent from Sydney quite regularly in 2015 & will have difficulty in giving the role the attention it requires and deserves.

I believe we are about to see some activity in cycling matters as it gathers momentum as an active transport mode & recreational activity, especially in light of the forthcoming State election in March 2015.

Some of you may also be aware of moves by the Bicycle Network (the rebadged Bicycle Victoria) to become part of the cycling fraternity in NSW. They opened an office in Sydney earlier this year and have been active in promoting the "Happiness Cycle" in conjunction with a very low key involvement by Coca Cola. The Australian Cyclist Party is also actively recruiting candidates for the forthcoming State Elections for the Upper House.