[CAMWEST-announce] June 2021 Update - and some 'on the ground' eyes and ears assistance sought.

Rob Kemp robkemp at tpg.com.au
Sun Jun 20 02:58:21 UTC 2021

Hi everyone,

  * Firstly, THIS MAILING LIST IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED.  Please enrol
    yourself in the newer camwest-announce list via
    http://camwest.org.au/mailman/listinfo/camwest-announce_camwest.org.au.
    This old list was setup by a member of CAMWEST who is not currently
    active with the group.  It is being run on a private server which
    current CAMWEST committee members don't have access to.  The admin
    passwords have reportedly been misplaced.  Basically, we don't have
    any idea who or how many people are currently subscribed to this
    list.  The server could go off-line at any time.  CAMWEST have now
    put procedures in place with the new website and mailing lists to
    move away from this 'single point of failure' situation.

The following email was sent to the new camwest-announce list:

Things have been bubbling along in CAMWEST land lately:

  * After a couple of my reconnaissance rides for new RWGPS routes over
    the last few weeks came unstuck due to temporary road and path
    closures, I decided it was time to attempt a CAMWEST repository to
    capture them - and re-openings when they occur.  I've also added
    initial openings (ie Escarpment Boardwalk) to the list. See
    https://camwest.org.au/news.html.

  * Some 'on the ground' assistance would be most welcome to identify
    any other closures (extending more than a day or two) and subsequent
    re-openings when they occur.  Please drop me an email if you come
    across something.  If it's a new closure, I'll hand out bonus points
    if you can send a relevant photo as well!

  * I've just added the Fairfield to Wetherill Park Loop to the list of
    Self-guided RWGPS routes.  Hopefully when the closed section of the
    Prospect Reservoir path re-opens, I'll be ready to add the Fairfield
    to Abbotsbury loop as well. For those who aren't already CAMWEST
    members, please let me know if you'd like free access to trial and
    provide feedback on one or more of the 9 self-guided routes that
    have been documented so far.  For a list of routes, see
    https://ridewithgps.com/collections/16630?privacy_code=1JFmU7GB7wAxaXJi,
    or for more details on using the Self-guided routes, see
    https://camwest.org.au/rides.html.

  * Individual CAMWEST membership costs $10 per year, and is due on the
    1st of July.  At present membership is a manual process, although by
    next year we hope to have online application and payments
    available.  See https://camwest.org.au/about.html#membership. We
    also encourage all riders to join up with BicycleNSW - See
    https://bicyclensw.org.au/bnsw-membership/

  * Five CAMWEST members are involved with the Parramatta chapter of
    Cycling Without Age.  We celebrated the launch of Parramatta's first
    trishaw in May.  (Previous to that training sessions were held with
    a borrowed trishaw.) See
    https://www.facebook.com/cyclingwithoutageparramattachapter/ or for
    more background info, see https://cyclingwithoutage.org.au/. Please
    contact us if you'd like to become involved.

  * We've added an archived version of our old website (which was active
    between around 2000 and 2013) to the new site. There are a number of
    historical articles there which people who've been around the
    cycliing scene for a few years may enjoy reading.  Note that I'm
    trying to remove most of the contact details present on the old
    site.  There are a number of broken external links, but I think all
    the internal ones are functioning.  The site was never designed to
    be viewed on mobile devices, but seems to work reasonably well on
    desktops, notebooks and larger tablets.  See
    https://camwest.org.au/archived/.

  * A few committee members have been reviewing our constitution
    (yawn).  We hope that updated documentation will serve us well in an
    increasingly online world.

  * CAMWEST Website: https://camwest.org.au/. Do you have other ideas on
    what you'd like to see on the website?  Would you like to contribute
    to the site in some way (eg Graphical design/content)?  If so,
    please get in touch.

Regards,

Rob - CAMWEST Vice President.