[CAMWEST-discuss] Parra park Proposal

Mark Robson Mark.Robson at australwright.com.au
Mon Aug 8 04:38:45 UTC 2005

Hi All,

Upon some reflection I agree with Danny that a shared path
with a speed limit will be an encouragement to inexperienced riders to
get on their bikes.

Agreement with a speed limited shared path MUST be linked to obvious
signage that bicyclists exceeding the path speed limit are allowed
and expected to use the vehicle road. This MUST be clearly signposted
at all park entrances. My worry is that motorists will rightously demand
all bicyclists to be in the shared path area.

The letter of the law is that pedestrians have legal right of way on the shared path;
so imagining a situation where 5 or 6 pedestrians take ownership of the shared path
the poor cyclist is once again forced into the traffic lane.
A bicycle travelling at 15 km/h will take a hard hit from a car doing 30 km/h.

How about a rule in the park that all cars have to give way to bicycles, period!

Parramatta Park is one of the few places where recreational cyclists can go and NOT
have to worry about pedestrians OR cars. We should fight to retain this.

If the Trust want to make a space available for a pedestrain footpath let it be at the
expense of motorists, not cyclists.

Mark R