[CAMWEST-discuss] Proposed Changes to Cycling in Parramatta Park

Robert Catford droftac at ozemail.com.au
Tue Aug 9 11:44:17 UTC 2005

Graham,

I've asked for a copy but nothing delivered by soft or hard copy as yet. The timing of the release of this public document is extraordinary. Consultations took place with the public about a traffic plan more than 5 years ago and I was consulted. It has sat and no doubt gathered alot of dust in that time. They now decide to release it for comment giving a very short time to make comment and the deadline is well before the next Parramatta Council cycleways committee meeting with which the Park Director, Chris Levins, has been invited to attend prior to this document being released.

The summary I received in the mail from the Park seems to include a 4m or so shared on-road path for pedestrians and cyclists with a 15km/hr speed limit. There is nothing to stop faster cyclists from riding in the narrower traffic lane which has a proposed reduced speed limit of 30km/hr. Neither situation would suit the majority of cyclists I suspect.

I agree we will need to lobby hard and publicise the changes to road riding clubs like Parramatta Cycle Club that use the park alot.