[CAMWEST-discuss] FINAL VERSION Proposed Changes to Cycling in Parramatta Park

Danny Hannan danny_hannan at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 10 22:35:33 UTC 2005

G'day all,

Sorry for the multiple copies but this one is it.

To get a good result that is in the interests of most
cyclists and other non-motorised park users we all
need to send a similar submission.

Coordination of the submissions is necessary otherwise
the Park committee is likely to get many conflicting
submissions which would allow them to do what they
like.

I have raised several points that are of merit for
consideration.

1.  Motorists must give way to all other park users.

2.  Motor vehicle lane reduced to a minimum width,
2.5m to 3.0m to constrict motorists.

3.  Maximise the width of the shared lane.

4.  Minimise or eliminate the need for motorists to
cross the shared lane.  Motorists crossing and
particularly turning LEFT across the shared lane has
caused several accidents and injuries to cyclists.
This requires the motor vehicle lane to be moved to
the outside of the circuit road and the removal of all
the parking on the inside of the circuit road and
replaced on the outside of the circuit road with
special treatment for the motor vehicle access to Old
Government House.

5.  Because of the mixed nature of the traffic a
maximum speed limit of 40Km/hr is needed but 30Km/hr
is probably more suitable.

6.  A speed limit for the shared lane is justifiable
but should apply to all users.  Cyclists should not be
singled out or discriminated against.  15Km/hr is
easily exceeded by runners, skate-boarders and
roller-bladers and is approaching the lower stable
speed for
cyclists.  20Km/hr is a more suitable speed limit for
the shared lane.

7.  The motor vehicle lane also be marked with the
bicycle logo.

Dan

--- Kevin Young <nsw.cycling at cycling.org.au> wrote:

> Hi Robert
>

> Cycling NSW received a copy of the document for
> comment yesterday. I can
> confirm both the Parramatta CC and Cycling NSW will
> make formal submissions
> opposing the suggested changes and asking they be
> modified to reflect a more
> realistic plan.
>

> Thanks for keeping us posted.
>

> Regards