[CAMWEST-discuss] Seniors Week Bicycle Ride

Ian Macindoe imacian at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jan 18 02:58:57 UTC 2006

Dear Graham and Alex

I'm just back from a trip to Victoria that had me out of town and out of email reach for the past several weeks. I have just seen the material re proposal from Dept of Aging, Disability and Home Care (DADHC) for bicycle rides for seniors during Seniors Week.

During the last quarter of 2005 I was preparing for six rides on behalf of the Parramatta Evening Branch of National Seniors Association. However, due to concern about insurance NSA felt it could not be the 'sponsor'. The rides will still go ahead as CAMWEST rides, which I will take responsibility for (except the first one, which is in conjuction with Paul Bowyer on 5 February 10am thru 2pm) and with the hope that other CAMWEST members will participate in organising, promoting and leading.

NSA Parramatta Branch members will be encouraged to participate, but the rides will be open to the public. The dates, already made known to the NSA members, are:
Sunday, 5 February, 10am to 2pm, Parramatta Heritage Ride (Ride A)
Sunday, 12 March, 10am to 2pm
Sunday, 9 April, 10am to 2pm
Sunday, 23 April, 10am to 2pm
Sunday, 14 May, 10am to 2pm
Sunday, 24 June, 10am to 2pm

The ride of Sunday, 9 April, falls within the Seniors Week dates. I am unclear why Graham has emailed that 'the ride needs to be conducted mid-week ...'.

Originally the Parramatta Heritage Ride (Ride B) was suggested for 12.03.06. But given the criteria in the proposal for Seniors Week it will probably be better to hold this second 2006 Parramatta Heritage Ride on 9.04.06. I will complete the Expression of Interest Submission Pro Forma accordingly. CAMWEST members who would like to assist with this ride (and, indeed, any of the others) should contact me.

For the record, the other rides are proposed as follows (without specifying a date in each case at this time):
Olympic Park Rides
Two rides from Parramatta (probably starting at the Elizabeth St end of the Elizabeth St Bridge):
(a)  east on Parramatta Valley Cycleway to cross river at Silverwater Rd bridge, then along south side river to Sydney Olympic Park Wharf, Woo-la-ra, Louise Sauvage Trail, Brickpit, Badu Mangroves and Water Bird Refuge and back to Philip St Wharf, either by bike or ferry;
(b)  east on Parramatta Valley Cycleway to cross river at Silverwater Rd bridge, then along south side river to Blaxland Common and Tour of Newington Armory (and back).
Canal Cycleway Rides
Two rides starting at Wentworthville:
(a) along Wentworthville Cycleway and Centenary Rd to Canal Cycleway (including Greystanes Aquaduct) and Warali Wali Project;
(b) along Wentworthville Cycleway and Centenary Rd to Canal Cycleway (including Greystanes Aquaduct) to Prospect Reservoir and Western Sydney Regional Park.

Your comments and suggestions welcome. Will try to do the pro forma submission within next few days.

Ian

Ian Macindoe
10 Barnetts Rd
Winston Hills NSW 2153