[CAMWEST-discuss] M7 webpage

Mark Robson Mark.Robson at australwright.com.au
Tue Jan 31 00:04:38 UTC 2006

Hi Paul,

I know this area quite well as I ride with a mate at Abbotsbury.

Indeed there is a shared path alongside Horsely Drive, linking the T-Way
to Western Sydney Regional Park. It does not link directly to the cycleway,
but an easy run through the car park and across a short area of smooth grass
brings you to the reservoir cycleway, but not the M7.

There is also a path alongside Cowpasture Rd. By using the roundabout at Restwell Poad to
the entrance to the Regional Park ( the place is called the Dairy and has water and toilets )
one can access the internal roads of the Regional Park. From the M7 car lanes I have spotted
these internal roads from the motorway side, so I assume it's possible to make the connection
by bicycle, it is only a kilomtre or so.

Only problem is the hill up from the Dairy to the top of the park is too steep for mortals like
us to ride up. I have done it once and pushed the bike up the hill. I am stronger now  and have
more gears, but easy cycleway it is NOT. And the downhill is deadly with a speed hump to be
negotiated at potential bike speeds of 70 km/h. Superb brakes are necessary.

All in all, use Chandos Lane. It needs bike logos as it's clearly the best option geographically.
Who's going to ask RTA?

I expect to be able to do a physical recce on this route on Feb 11/12.

Obviosly we know that the Dairy is already linked to Fairfield and Bankstown via Orphan School Creek
so a decent link from through the regional park to the M7 would draw cycle traffic from as
far afield as Canley Vale and Parramatta.

Mark Robson