[CAMWEST-discuss] Fw: Re: Reform Bicycle NSW

Nick Urbanik nicku at nicku.org
Tue Jul 4 05:28:16 UTC 2006

From: john kyriazis <ioannis_zis at yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 22:11:46 -0700 (PDT)
To: Robert Moore <fractalbug at yahoo.com.au>, ashbug at telstra.com,
	patriciagriffen at bigpond.com.au, gregw at nor.com.au,
	rpabarlow at netwit.net.au, ggodde at vtown.com.au, begabug_7 at hotmail.com,
	laja.florence at bigpond.com, gjsearle at bigpond.com,
	info at stgeorgebug.org.au, candgfloyd at hotmail.com,
	enquiry at toukleycycleclub.org.au, judd at tpg.com.au,
	windsorcyclist at windsorcyclists.org.au/, imacian at bigpond.net.au
Subject: Re: Reform Bicycle NSW

Thanks for your reply bob.

Last year's AGM we discussed the possibility of having one male and one female
'elected by lot', in addition to the current board members. this was a
conservative proposal. Yes personally i would like to see the whole board
elected by lot, but i think the above  proposal is  the way to start.

i think your suggesting there be an age limit to  'elected by lot' board
members. At the 2005 AGM we said people interested would need to enroll
themselves. there could be a box they tick on the Bicycle NSW entry form that
asked, "do you want to be on the board this coming year" and you would need to
tick the box to enroll yourself to be elected by lot. Or you could have an age
limit and elect people from the entire member list, i think 50 years of age as
an entry level (by the way that rules me out).
Personally i think people who have the qualifications should get the
positions on any board or parliament for that matter, but that strangely is not
current practice. But if you are going to be an ordinary member of the board
then you need not have specific qualifications and the idea behind the
'election by lot' proposal was to educate members to and encopurage them to be
more active in the organisation. Last year only 30 people turned out for the
AGM out of a possible 10,000 members!
Robert Moore <fractalbug at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

    --- John Kyriazis and Ian Macindoe wrote:

    > we would be
    > interested to know the thoughts of others to the
    > following proposal.
    > To encourage greater participation of members of
    > Bicycle NSW in the Annual General Meeting we suggest
    > the following:
    >
    > To increase Bicycle NSW s commitment to and
    > involvement with its members, we suggest that
    > positions on its Board be 'elected by lot' ,
    > specifically to liaise with and promote BUGs
    > throughout NSW. (please note: 'elected by lot' means
    > random selection from membership list.)

    Do you mean ALL positions by lot? Any age limit or
    experience/skills needed?

    > Some weeks prior to the AGM there be a special
    > boxed section of Push On outlining the main purposes
    > and issues to be taken up at the AGM.
    >
    > The AGM to occur during the last half day of a
    > two-day BUGs workshop dealing with
    > (a) BUG purposes and activities, (b) BUG
    > governance, and (c) BNSW governance.

    This is a good idea if enough people can get to it.

    > The BUG workshop be organised and hosted by one
    > of the larger/more successful BUGs at no substantial
    > cost to Bicycle NSW as an organisation.

    Who does pay then, the hosting BUG? Not many could
    afford that. Better to make it an annual item in the
    BNSW budget surely? Or are we talking home-stays?

    > So, for
    > example, if Bathurst BADBUG or Bicycle Wagga Wagga
    > or Northern Rivers Cycling Club or NAMBUG or BUG LE
    > BUG (Leeton) or Cootamundra BUG hosts the workshop,
    > then they would provide the appropriate facilities
    > for the AGM also.

    Maybe the local Council or business could help
    subsidise the meeting.

    > The effect of such changes to the present
    > operation of Bicycle NSW would be to shift emphasis
    > towards the role of BUGs vis- -vis the central
    > support organisation (Bicycle NSW). It would also,
    > we hope, tend to provide a balance to the
    > traditional Sydney-centric operation of Bicycle NSW.
    > We think it would certainly lead to productive ideas
    > for BUGs to share and could even make the AGM fun!

    I am thinking what BNSW needs as always is a stronger
    Advocacy Committee and maybe the BUGs need to think
    about getting on that before they get on the board
    itself. ( Apologies for those who are involved, I
    admit I am a litle out of it myself these days.) More
    use of electronic meetings might overcome the distance
    and other splits between country and city.

    Bob Moore
    Leichhardt BUG

Nick Urbanik   RHCE         http://nicku.org        nicku at nicku.org