[CAMWEST-discuss] Reform Bicycle NSW

Jonhol2 at netscape.net Jonhol2 at netscape.net
Sun Jul 9 08:27:05 UTC 2006

Rob,
    I have not been involved in the politics of Bicycle NSW, nor have I been active within the BUGs. However, the description you give of the problems with Bicycle NSW can be repeated in committees across the nation. I have lived in over 20 communities in NSW and been on the committees of several different organisations & I have found that Sydney is sometimes more parochial than many country areas. I was very surprised when I first returned to Sydney & was working at Bondi. One of my colleagues was complaining because he had taken up with a young lady & he had to travel all the way to Ryde to visit her.

There is no easy answer to the problem except maybe attracting members to the board that have continuing access to all areas of the state and therefore a wider view of what is happening. As an example, I was surprised to see a reference to a BUG at Narrandera. I travelled there recently with work & took my mountain bike for some exercise and to explore the area. It was wonderful, flat roads, an old railway line, irrigation canals and little traffic. I struck up a conversation with the Motel owner as he had a couple of mountain bikes for hire & he was having difficulty convincing the local council of the benefits of a few bike paths as a tourist incentive. He had no knowlege of the local BUG ( nor did I, for that matter). I wonder how active the BUG was outside their own sphere of interest. They may have been similar to others in the Riverina, very active road riders, but little interest in cycling in general. I pointed him towards a couple of web sites which would have helped him with some information. I haven't been back to see how he got on.

It is not too late to contribute some ideas to the next edition of Australian Cyclist to raise the awareness within members. How about an article or some letters to the editor to try and spur some people on to attend the next AGM & volunteer for the board. I am currently seeking to change my working location within my organisation, but I will make a concerted effort to be at the next AGM as well as a letter to the editor re the same.

It is time to promote all forms of bicycle transport for our own health and the health of our planet. We are reaching, or have possibly already reached peak oil production. All petro chemical products can only increase in price from now on ( look around your house for the effects of this). I believe global warming is real, despite the writings to the contrary. It is time to stop speaking about it.

John Holstein.

"If we don't change direction, we will end up where we are headed"