[CAMWEST-discuss] Reform Bicycle NSW

Danny Hannan danny_hannan at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 10 00:17:40 UTC 2006

I think the dissatisfaction with Bicycle NSW comes
from two causes.
1.  The Board are volunteers and give up much of their
time to effect worthwhile causes on the members
behalf.  As volunteers the work that they can get done
is limited in an arena where the work to be done is
unlimited.

2.  The financial state of Bicycle NSW severely limits
it's ability to get things done and to have a strong
influence.

The NRMA since demutualisation has become a largely
toothless tiger. the carving off of the insurance
(money making side) spelt doom for the motoring arm of
the organisation, it will be a slow and lingering
death but will be a death all the same.

Until Bicycle NSW becomes financially stong, the
current problems will exist.

I personally commend the current board, they have
turned things around and removed some of the problem
people.  Now lets see if they can increase Bicycle
NSW's profitability.

I agree with Rob, just filling the positions on the
board is a difficult task, getting all the right
people on the board is almost an impossibility.

Dan

--- Rob Kemp <robkemp at tpg.com.au> wrote:

> [...]
> included.  If you
> were looking at incorporating a morning ride or
> similar into the program
> (as has been done on previous BUG workshops that
> I've attended), it may
> be prudent to choose a location which you can get a
> bike to easily on
> public transport.  As you may be aware, once beyond
> the inter-city rail
> network of Bomaderry (Nowra), Goulburn, Lithgow and
> the Hunter Valley,
> trains are fairly infrequent, and you need to box
> bikes up in order to
> get them on.  Then there's generally and there's
> generally a limit of a
> few boxed bikes per train.  This would rule Bathurst
> out.  Therefore,
> I'd think you'd have to be looking at locations like
> Newcastle, Lithgow,
> Blue Mountains, Moss Vale, Goulburn Wollongong,
> Kiama or Nowra.  The
> Shoalhaven BUG hosted a successful weekend workshop
> in Nowra a few years
> back.  The Goulburn BUG (GADBUG) is fairly small.  I
> think a number of
> the other BUGs in these areas are too.  Maybe
> Newcastle (If NCM wanted to)?
> - I've noticed that some people from inner suburban
> areas are less
> inclined to travel distances for short periods of
> time than those from
> outer suburbs or rural areas.  This may impact on
> the number of people
> that are willing to attend.  (A non-cycling related
> example of this idea
> was when someone made a comment to me that  I'd come
> a long way from my
> place in Rooty Hill to theirs in Manly.  In
> contrast, I was thinking
> that Manly wan't too far away from Rooty Hill).
> - Like Bob, I'm not sure how any local BUGs would
> fund such an event.
> - What would be your aim in holding the AGM outside
> of Sydney?  To
> attract non-Sydney board members?  A few years back
> one of the Goulburn
> BUG members was on the Board (and President).  I
> know that he became
> quite disallusioned with the travel to Sydney
> required.   If the
> meetings had been held closer to Goulburn, then the
> remaining
> Sydney-based participants would all have had to
> travel..
>
> I guess what I'm getting at is that while BNSW might
> be Sydney-centric,
> realistically I can't see many Board members
> choosing to travel over
> vast distances to attend meetings.  I guess there
> may be some scope  for
> using  electronic communication means for meetings
> in the future.  With
> the rollout of  higher speed internet services into
> rural areas, there
> may be possibilites of incorporating lower cost VoIP
>   conference calls
> into some or all of the meetings. This would require

=== message truncated ===>

danny_hannan at yahoo.com