[CAMWEST-discuss] - RE: Blacktown bikes - can anyone help?

Mark Robson Mark.Robson at australwright.com.au
Wed Aug 30 02:35:58 UTC 2006

Hi All,

I have tried until I've gone blue in the face trying to get the gate times changed,
it's simply not going to happen. We are better off trying to get the Pemulway ( West Greystanes )
alternative completed some time soon.

Other issue is the main gate at the Blacktown end closes at 4.45 pm year round,
which really is early in summer, some 3 hours before sunset.

As for getting from the main gate in Reserviour Rd to Blacktown, much of the cycleway is complete,
from Harrod St to St Martins Cr. alongside the Prospect Hwy.

Getting from Blacktown CBD to St Martins Cr is a footpath job down the hospital side
of Blacktown Rd, altghough back streets like Grafton and Panarama Pde
into Lock St, left into Tress St, Yale pl and cross the Reserve to Tudor Ave
may give access to the cyclepath without undue traffic stress.

At the M4 end, crossing the narrow road bridge over Gt Western Hwy on Prospect Rd is
only for the very courageous and there is no alternative. Also, be very careful negotiating
the M4 access roundabout as motorists coming off the M4 are not happy giving way to a cyclist.

All in all, the off-road shared path section from Harrod St to Reserviour Rd is badly needed,
and without it Blacktown to Propsect is not nice riding at all.

Work is under way connecting the Canal cycleway near Gipps Rd to Pemulway ( the old Boral and CSIRO sites ),
and when Clunies Ross St is extended into Pemulway next year a better 24 hour route will be available, including
Stoddart Rd, Blacktown Rd footpath, Clunies Ross St, cyclepath through Pemulway, cyclepath along Canal.
The local councillor is trying to advance the Clunies Ross St connection.

This will be much better than crossing the M4. I have ridden this Pemulway route and it's quite Ok, though
the litle climb up Blacktown Rd to cross the Gt Western Hwy gets the blood pumping.

Mark Robson