[CAMWEST-discuss] Fw: Re: push on gone To the contrary, "BNSW loses the plot"

Nick Urbanik nicku at nicku.org
Thu Aug 31 01:14:04 UTC 2006

From: "Ian McAllan" <ducula at tpg.com.au>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 09:37:11 -0000
To: "Doug & Nina Bathersby" <dbathers at bigpond.net.au>,
Cc: <fractalbug at yahoo.com.au>, <ashbug at telstra.com>,
	<alland1 at bigpond.com>, <nebug at optusnet.com.au>,
	<cycleways at hunterlink.net.au>, <patriciagriffen at bigpond.com.au>,
	<begabug_7 at hotmail.com>, <laja.florence at bigpond.com>,
	<gjsearle at bigpond.com>, <info at stgeorgebug.org.au>,
	<candgfloyd at hotmail.com>, <enquiry at toukleycycleclub.org.au>,
	"Milton Judd" <judd at tpg.com.au>,
	"Ian Macindoe" <imacian at bigpond.net.au>, <president at bikenorth.org.au>
Subject: Re: push on gone       To the contrary, "BNSW loses the plot"

Viewing the rides available is not the issue as suggested by Phil J.

As John K stated, the issue is Advocacy. Take out Push On from Cycling
Australia and there is no evidence to the average member of BNSW that there is
any advocacy or active lobbying by the organisation unless they go out of their
way to look up the pdf. Indeed there is no mention of the BUGS.

Doug B is correct. Most members will read "Push On" if it is in their face as a
hard copy, but are less likely if it is on-line, no matter how wonderful it is.
Strange as it may seem to everyone on the internet, there is still a
significant section of the Australian population that is not caught in the web
- not just 'a few'. Maybe it is because the people concerned are not answering
their emails.

The lack of a lobbying profile of BNSW is undoubtedly a major part of the
reason for a yearly one third turnover of membership - i.e. "Does my membership
of this organisation make any difference?". Given the recent lack of profile of
BNSW with the closure of the William St cycle lanes (e.g. no comment in the
media on the day of the announcement, emails sent out on the day before protest
rides) one could say membership makes no difference. In fact the email medium
was still not fast enough to get many bums on bike seats on the two protest
rides I went on (which I found about from other BUGS anyway).

Phil J obviously didn't understand what John was saying. There was nothing on
advocacy in Cycling Australia apart from a few vague lines in the editorial. In
fact the latest Push On has evidence that BNSW is giving up on advocacy. It has
links to a websurvey by the Liberal Party. This looks at best that BNSW
is abrogating its responsibilities, at worst in bed with a political party
(doesn't matter which one). As an NGO, BNSW is the organisation that should be
doing the survey of its 10,000+ members and then approaching the political
parties to see what they can offer - not the other way around.

The foundation of Bicycle NSW is not a rides programme as suggested by Phil, it
is ensuring there are facilities, paths and lanes so that there is a perception
that it is safe to cycle for whatever reason you want.

Ian McAllan