[CAMWEST-discuss] Fw: push on gone

Nick Urbanik nicku at nicku.org
Thu Aug 31 02:13:35 UTC 2006

From: john kyriazis <ioannis_zis at yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 19:12:15 -0700 (PDT)
To: president at bikenorth.org.au, imacian at bigpond.net.au,
	info at camwest.pps.com.au, jan2max at bigpond.net.au,
	jclewer at bigpond.net.au, katandra at bigpond.com, cctcc at bigpond.com,
	contact at baybug.org.au, bgrinberg at telstra.com, KRIXggrh at bigpond.com,
	pwe01326 at bigpond.net.au, bsday at optusnet.com.au, grant at grcontrols.net,
	info at bikenorth.org.au, secretary at bww.org.au,
	sally at full-screen-ahead.com.au, ashbug at telstra.com,
	fractalbug at yahoo.com.au, ducula at tpg.com.au
Subject: push on gone

Nobody is criticising the  electronic version of  push on , but the only
members that will use it, will be a very small minority of activists. The
overwhelming majority of bicycle nsw members are not activists. When  push on
was part of the magazine, at least these  members  would glance at it. Now with
the removal of  push on  from  the magazine, these members will probably not
look  at it. At the very  least a summarised version of the electronic  push on
 , should appear in the magazine.
Bicycle nsw tried getting rid of the push on several months ago, but failed
with the backlash from bugs at that  time. Its now time to reform an
organisation, that is out of touch with the wishes of its members and bugs.
Some of the bugs have not agreed with my proposals, but have their own
proposals for reforming bicycle nsw. I  strongly suggest that these proposals
be prepared, written and  presented ASAP to Bicycle nsw. Don t  wait til
October to prepare and check the rules in the new Bicycle nsw constitution
(passed in 2005 AGM). You will need to have proposals ready and formally handed
in to bicycle nsw by this September to be eligible for this years November AGM.
If I can be of any assistance let me know.

"president at bikenorth" <graemee at idx.com.au> wrote:

    Bike North agrees that increasing the involvement of members and the
    commitment to increasing the support of BUGS is an excellent idea.
    We disagree with the 'election by lot' approach, and feel that there are a
    number of other strategies that could be applied to achieve greater
    involvement and support.
    Graeme Edwards
    President Bike North Inc.

        Subject: Re: Reform Bicycle NSW

        Thanks for your reply bob.

        Last year's AGM we discussed the possibility of having one male and one
        female 'elected by lot', in addition to the current board members. this
        was a conservative proposal. Yes personally i would like to see the
        whole board elected by lot, but i think the above  proposal is  the way
        to start.

        i think your suggesting there be an age limit to  'elected by lot'
        board members. At the 2005 AGM we said people interested would need to
        enroll themselves. there could be a box they tick on the Bicycle NSW
        entry form that asked, "do you want to be on the board this coming
        year" and you would need to tick the box to enroll yourself to be
        elected by lot. Or you could have an age limit and elect people from
        the entire member list, i think 50 years of age as an entry level (by
        the way that rules me out).
        Personally i think people who have the qualifications should get the
        positions on any board or parliament for that matter, but that
        strangely is not current practice. But if you are going to be an
        ordinary member of the board then you need not have specific
        qualifications and the idea behind the 'election by lot' proposal was
        to educate members to and encopurage them to be more active in the
        organisation. Last year only 30 people turned out for the AGM out of a
        possible 10,000 members!
        Robert Moore <fractalbug at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

            --- John Kyriazis and Ian Macindoe wrote:

            > we would be
            > interested to know the thoughts of others to the
            > following proposal.
            > To encourage greater participation of members of
            > Bicycle NSW in the Annual General Meeting we suggest
            > the following:
            >
            > To increase Bicycle NSW s commitment to and
            > involvement with its members, we suggest that
            > positions on its Board be 'elected by lot' ,
            > specifically to liaise with and promote BUGs
            > throughout NSW. (please note: 'elected by lot' means
            > random selection from membership list.)

            Do you mean ALL positions by lot? Any age limit or
            experience/skills needed?

            > Some weeks prior to the AGM there be a special
            > boxed section of Push On outlining the main purposes
            > and issues to be taken up at the AGM.
            >
            > The AGM to occur during the last half day of a
            > two-day BUGs workshop dealing with
            > (a) BUG purposes and activities, (b) BUG
            > governance, and (c) BNSW governance.

            This is a good idea if enough people can get to it.

            > The BUG workshop be organised and hosted by one
            > of the larger/more successful BUGs at no substantial
            > cost to Bicycle NSW as an organisation.

            Who does pay then, the hosting BUG? Not many could
            afford that. Better to make it an annual item in the
            BNSW budget surely? Or are we talking home-stays?

            > So, for
            > example, if Bathurst BADBUG or Bicycle Wagga Wagga
            > or Northern Rivers Cycling Club or NAMBUG or BUG LE
            > BUG (Leeton) or Cootamundra BUG hosts the workshop,
            > then they would provide the appropriate facilities
            > for the AGM also.

            Maybe the local Council or business could help
            subsidise the meeting.

            > The effect of such changes to the present
            > operation of Bicycle NSW would be to shift emphasis
            > towards the role of BUGs vis- -vis the central
            > support organisation (Bicycle NSW). It would also,
            > we hope, tend to provide a balance to the
            > traditional Sydney-centric operation of Bicycle NSW.
            > We think it would certainly lead to productive ideas
            > for BUGs to share and could even make the AGM fun!

            I am thinking what BNSW needs as always is a stronger
            Advocacy Committee and maybe the BUGs need to think
            about getting on that before they get on the board
            itself. ( Apologies for those who are involved, I
            admit I am a litle out of it myself these days.) More
            use of electronic meetings might overcome the distance
            and other splits between country and city.

            Bob Moore
            Leichhardt BUG