[CAMWEST-discuss] Fw: PushOn and Bicycle NSW

Nick Urbanik nicku at nicku.org
Sun Sep 3 08:46:35 UTC 2006

Dear CAMWESTies,

Another contribution to the Push On debate.  I did not need to trim
this one; Robert has done it himself.

----- Forwarded message from Robert Hamilton <rjbhamilton at hotmail.com> -----

From: "Robert Hamilton" <rjbhamilton at hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 18:12:54 +1000
To: ioannis_zis at yahoo.com
Cc: <president at bikenorth.org.au>, <imacian at bigpond.net.au>,
	<windsorcyclist at windsorcyclists.org.au>, <judd at tpg.com.au>,
	<enquiry at toukleycycleclub.org.au>, <candgfloyd at hotmail.com>,
	<info at stgeorgebug.org.au>, <gjsearle at bigpond.com>,
	<laja.florence at bigpond.com>, <begabug_7 at hotmail.com>,
	<patriciagriffen at bigpond.com.au>, <cycleways at hunterlink.net.au>,
	<nebug at optusnet.com.au>, <alland1 at bigpond.com>,
	<scribepj at tpg.com.au>, <gregmonk at bigpond.net.au>,
	<bccycles at nor.com.au>, <haworth at tsn.cc>,
	<david.and.barb at iinet.net.au>, <agwood at hn.ozemail.com.au>,
	<dbathers at bigpond.net.au>, <cbushell at csu.edu.au>,
	<1bicycle at lisp.com.au>, <timothy at australia.edu.au>,
	<president at sydneyspokes.com>, <john-j-obrien at bigpond.com>,
	<george1h at 0tusnet.com.au>, <info at camwest.pps.com.au>,
	<jan2max at bigpond.net.au>, <jclewer at bigpond.net.au>,
	<bgrinberg at telstra.com>, <krixggrh at bigpond.com>,
	<pwe01326 at bigpond.net.au>, <bsday at optusnet.com.au>,
	<grant at grcontrols.net>, <info at bikenorth.org.au>,
	<secretary at bww.org.au>, <ashbug at telstra.com>,
	<fractalbug at yahoo.com.au>, <ducula at tpg.com.au>
Subject: PushOn and Bicycle NSW

Dear John

I have seen your recent email to many of the BUGs.  While you did not send it
to me another BUG member did so.  I am referring to the email in which you
comment on the changes to PushOn and your view that Bicycle NSW is  distancing
itself from BUGs .  I have included the text below.

I have copied this email to all those to whom you sent your original message to
ensure that they also have access to my views on what BNSW has been focusing
on.

Let me respond to your latest comments.

 PushOn has gone from the magazine.

Yes, it has.  We informed all members some months ago that we planned to make
PushOn an email magazine, on a trial basis.  This we have done.  On a trial
basis.  Your email implies that PushOn has been abandoned.  However, it is now
available through 2 delivery methods, and not one as per the magazine option
only.  We have informed members that they can get a hard copy of PushOn in two
ways: download the PDF and print it; or ask BNSW to send out a printed copy.
It remains to be seen whether this will prove to be a good move but it
represents a change from our past practise as we look to improve our
distribution means and thus, we hope, communication.

   thus relegated those activists & Bugs associated with it to third rate
status.

We feel that having a better website, putting the rides calendar on the web,
distributing PushOn by email are all steps that add to the information
available to Bugs and  activists .  The intention of the Board and the
management of BNSW is to work with BUGs and to give them more information.

 Its CEO seems to be more interested in fun rides and insurance.

The Board and the administration of BNSW have been under great pressure for the
past few years to ensure the financial survival of the organisation.  Lowered
insurance premiums (which saved us a great deal) and adequate patronage of
rides are both crucial to the very survival of BNSW.  As President, I have seen
it as the most important issue that we have faced.  I am  very pleased (as
reported in the current edition of PushOn) that we finished the 2005-06 year
with an adequate surplus.  For the first time for several years, we are in a
position to do things with a little more flexibility.

Earlier this year, the Board decided that it wanted a full time advocacy
manager.  This was written into the strategy document drafted several months
ago.  Subsequently, the Advocacy and Election sub-Committees have put forward a
proposal to devote a new full time resource to advocacy, with an initial focus
on the forthcoming state election.  We worked with individuals from two BUGs
active in this area to help formulate our strategy and plan. This represents
the partnership approach we take with the BUGs.  When we have recruited for
this role, this should position us to be much more active in this important
area.

 If something is not done to reform Bicycle NSW in 2006 then it will become
even more distant from its members

I agree that BNSW must be as close to its membership as possible.  I know that
there are things that we have not got right and I am sure that will be true in
the future, too.  But we absolutely recognise and believe that we are a
membership-based organisation and that we must do all that we can to work for
our members.  That said, it is then open to debate as to what should be done.
Every one has a different idea on what our priorities ought to be.  The Board
considers many ideas but we cannot do everything so we do what we think is best
and what we can find the resources to do.  Anyone is free to stand for the
Board and to work towards whatever they think is right.

   when the boards 2 year term in office will begin.

A two year term, with half the Board re-elected each year was proposed and
accepted at the 2005 AGM.  The new two year terms do not come into force until
the 2006 AGM, on 4 November.  None of those elected last year have a two year
term.

   lead in lobbying the NSW state government and allow the BUGS to concentrate
on local government.

I agree. Since confirming our first surplus in many years as at 30 June 2006,
we have immediately moved to focus on where we can make the most contribution.

As a final comment let me say that I would be delighted if we actually have
more nominees for the Board than there are positions available.  If you want to
influence the real work of BNSW then nominate for the Board and get yourself
elected.  There are also other ways you can work with us in partnership as have
other members of BUGs.  An example would be to help us to find a new, really
good advocacy manager.

Yours sincerely,

Robert Hamilton

Text of your email:

The push on has gone from the magazine and thus relegated those activists &
Bugs associated with it to third rate status. Bicycle NSW  is distancing itself
from Bugs. Its ceo seems to be more interested in fun rides and insurance.
This year may be the last chance for BUGS to back control of their
organisation. What  do you all think?

If something is not done to reform Bicycle NSW  in 2006 then it will become
even more distant from its members, when the boards 2 year term in office will
begin.

We need a Bicycle NSW  that will take the lead in lobbying the NSW state
government and allow the BUGS to consentrate on local government

Nick Urbanik   RHCE         http://nicku.org        nicku at nicku.org