[CAMWEST-discuss] BUG report, and Steven Lopez's offer of help

Nick Urbanik nicku at nicku.org
Sun Sep 10 00:46:41 UTC 2006

Dear CAMWESTies,

I have just spoken with Steven Lopez, and better understand his offer.

The first thing he said is that the menu system on our existing web
site is broken, and doesn't work properly in his Firefox 1.5 running
on Windows.  He said that the second level menus disappear before he
could click on them, making navigation very difficult.  That is why he
hasn't had much of a look at the web site.

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THAT PROBLEM?  This is the first bug report I
have had on the web site and am very keen to solve it if others are
having any major problems like that.

==================

He proposes to install Joomla!.  Joomla! would totally replace the
current web site, and importing the existing web site would be a
manual process, which would involve copying and pasting each page.  It
would be an all-or-nothing choice.

All the URLs would have to move, and would require redirects in the
web server setup for every page for existing links from external web
sites to still work.

Steven is very busy, with no time to subscribe to the mailing list or
read the discussion on it, and would have limited time to help with
the manual work involved.

I propose setting up a test Joomla! site to investigate the amount of
work involved in migrating; I might move a smaller site into Joomla!
first as a trial.  I won't put any deadline on that, as I have other
things to do myself.  Steven said that he can help with the migration,
but not with moving the old site over to Joomla! in its entirety.

I would probably be able to (eventually :-) write a Perl program to
automate the migration, but I would need to better understand the
internal structure of Joomla! first.

I will contact pps.com.au to ask them if we can use Joomla! on their
server, or whether we can install Joomla! on their server.
Nick Urbanik   RHCE         http://nicku.org        nicku at nicku.org