[CAMWEST-discuss] Fuel giant chief denies oil crisis

Mark Robson Mark.Robson at australwright.com.au
Tue Sep 19 01:04:54 UTC 2006

Even before I heard Al Gore on Andrew Denton's show last week I have been getting concerned about climate change.
I have never been a big 'greenie', but the science of climate change seems to becoming more generally accepted than peak oil.

There seems little point in replacing the vehicle fleet ( if that's what we are going to do ) with hybrid's or natural gas power
if we are still burning fossil fuel in them in 20 years time when the fleet conversion is complete. If we are going to convert
it may as well be to a system that will last us for at least a century.

It's such a shame Sydney killed off the electric tram system we had all those years ago.

>From a pure cycling promotion viewpoint global warming might be a more publicly accepted issue on which to base calls for better cycling infrastructure.

It can be argued that oil shortages can be alleviated by exploration or conversion to other fuels or conservation with more fuel efficient vehicles.

These arguments don't work against global warming since even more efficient vehicles take even more energy to create in the first place.

The only method of combatting gobal warming is to use less fossil fuel as the overall energy source. This means using less energy.

In the long term cycling means not only saving the CO2 from the burned fuel, whatever it is, as well as saving the energy in creating the car in the first place,
whatever it's made of and whatever fuels it.

Mark R