[CAMWEST-discuss] Fw: No action on 'elected by lot'

Nick Urbanik nicku at nicku.org
Sat Nov 11 00:35:10 UTC 2006


Dear CAMWESTies,

Here is some more discussion about the management of BNSW.

----- Forwarded message from john kyriazis <ioannis_zis at yahoo.com> -----

From: john kyriazis <ioannis_zis at yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 16:25:36 -0800 (PST)
To: president at bikenorth.org.au, imacian at bigpond.net.au,
	windsorcyclist at windsorcyclists.org.au/, judd at tpg.com.au,
	enquiry at toukleycycleclub.org.au, candgfloyd at hotmail.com,
	info at stgeorgebug.org.au, gjsearle at bigpond.com,
	laja.florence at bigpond.com, begabug_7 at hotmail.com,
	ggodde at vtown.com.au, rpabarlow at netwit.net.au, gregw at nor.com.au,
	patriciagriffen at bigpond.com.au, cycleways at hunterlink.net.au,
	nebug at optusnet.com.au, alland1 at bigpond.com, ScribePJ at tpg.com.au,
	gregmonk at bigpond.net.au, bccycles at nor.com.au, haworth at tsn.cc,
	david.and.barb at iinet.net.au, agwood at hn.ozemail.com.au,
	dbathers at bigpond.net.au, CBushell at csu.edu.au, 1bicycle at lisp.com.au,
	timothy at australia.edu, president at sydneyspokes.com,
	john-j-OBrien at bigpond.com, george1h at 0tusnet.com.au,
	info at camwest.pps.com.au, jan2max at bigpond.net.au,
	jclewer at bigpond.net.au, katandra at bigpond.com, cctcc at bigpond.com,
	contact at baybug.org.au, bgrinberg at telstra.com, KRIXggrh at bigpond.com,
	pwe01326 at bigpond.net.au, bsday at optusnet.com.au, grant at grcontrols.net,
	info at bikenorth.org.au, secretary at bww.org.au,
	sally at full-screen-ahead.com.au, ashbug at telstra.com,
	fractalbug at yahoo.com.au
Subject: No action on 'elected by lot'

Last year's AGM (2005) we discussed the possibility of having one
member 'elected by lot', in addition to the current 9 board
members. This was a very conservative proposal. The proposal was aimed
at encouraging participation and would not effect the running of the
board if the elected candidate did not participate.
 
At this years AGM, the 2005 agm minutes were past by all members
present.  Point number 4 (on page 4) refers to the above proposal.
Action 1 reads -Robert Hamilton stated that the new COM will address
the issue and John Kyriazis will be invited to attend a COM meeting to
present the proposal for discussion.
 
I can assure you all, I was never invited at Bicycle NSW HQ to attend
a COM meeting and that no meeting ever took place concerning the
'elected by lot' proposal. Nor do I think that Hamilton ever intended
to carry out this Action.  These emails are the only other discussion
that has taken place.
 
John Kyriazis
 
 
 "president at bikenorth" <graemee at idx.com.au> wrote:

    Bike North agrees that increasing the involvement of members and the
    commitment to increasing the support of BUGS is an excellent idea.
    We disagree with the 'election by lot' approach, and feel that
    there are a number of other strategies that could be applied to
    achieve greater involvement and support.

    Graeme Edwards
    President Bike North Inc.

        Subject: Re: Reform Bicycle NSW

        Thanks for your reply bob.
         
        Last year's AGM we discussed the possibility of having one male and one
        female 'elected by lot', in addition to the current board members. this
        was a conservative proposal. Yes personally i would like to see the
        whole board elected by lot, but i think the above  proposal is  the way
        to start.
         
        i think your suggesting there be an age limit to 'elected by
        lot' board members. At the 2005 AGM we said people interested
        would need to enroll themselves. there could be a box they
        tick on the Bicycle NSW entry form that asked, "do you want to
        be on the board this coming year" and you would need to tick
        the box to enroll yourself to be elected by lot. Or you could
        have an age limit and elect people from the entire member
        list, i think 50 years of age as an entry level (by the way
        that rules me out).

        Personally i think people who have the qualifications should get the
        positions on any board or parliament for that matter, but that
        strangely is not current practice. But if you are going to be an
        ordinary member of the board then you need not have specific
        qualifications and the idea behind the 'election by lot' proposal was
        to educate members to and encopurage them to be more active in the
        organisation. Last year only 30 people turned out for the AGM out of a
        possible 10,000 members!
        Robert Moore <fractalbug at yahoo.com.au> wrote:


            --- John Kyriazis and Ian Macindoe wrote:

            > we would be
            > interested to know the thoughts of others to the
            > following proposal.
            > To encourage greater participation of members of
            > Bicycle NSW in the Annual General Meeting we suggest
            > the following:
            >
            > To increase Bicycle NSW s commitment to and
            > involvement with its members, we suggest that
            > positions on its Board be 'elected by lot' ,
            > specifically to liaise with and promote BUGs
            > throughout NSW. (please note: 'elected by lot' means
            > random selection from membership list.)

            Do you mean ALL positions by lot? Any age limit or
            experience/skills needed?

            > Some weeks prior to the AGM there be a special
            > boxed section of Push On outlining the main purposes
            > and issues to be taken up at the AGM.
            >
            > The AGM to occur during the last half day of a
            > two-day BUGs workshop dealing with
            > (a) BUG purposes and activities, (b) BUG
            > governance, and (c) BNSW governance.

            This is a good idea if enough people can get to it.

            >
            > The BUG workshop be organised and hosted by one
            > of the larger/more successful BUGs at no substantial
            > cost to Bicycle NSW as an organisation.

            Who does pay then, the hosting BUG? Not many could
            afford that. Better to make it an annual item in the
            BNSW budget surely? Or are we talking home-stays?

            > So, for
            > example, if Bathurst BADBUG or Bicycle Wagga Wagga
            > or Northern Rivers Cycling Club or NAMBUG or BUG LE
            > BUG (Leeton) or Cootamundra BUG hosts the workshop,
            > then they would provide the appropriate facilities
            > for the AGM also.

            Maybe the local Council or business could help
            subsidise the meeting.

            > The effect of such changes to the present
            > operation of Bicycle NSW would be to shift emphasis
            > towards the role of BUGs vis- -vis the central
            > support organisation (Bicycle NSW). It would also,
            > we hope, tend to provide a balance to the
            > traditional Sydney-centric operation of Bicycle NSW.
            > We think it would certainly lead to productive ideas
            > for BUGs to share and could even make the AGM fun!

            I am thinking what BNSW needs as always is a stronger
            Advocacy Committee and maybe the BUGs need to think
            about getting on that before they get on the board
            itself. ( Apologies for those who are involved, I
            admit I am a litle out of it myself these days.) More
            use of electronic meetings might overcome the distance
            and other splits between country and city.


            Bob Moore
            Leichhardt BUG

----- End forwarded message -----

-- 
Nick Urbanik   RHCE         http://nicku.org        nicku at nicku.org
GPG: 7FFA CDC7+5A77 0558 DC7A 790A 16DF EC5B BB9D 2C24 ID: BB9D2C24
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 189 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://nicku.org/pipermail/camwest-discuss/attachments/20061111/72557932/attachment-0001.sig>


More information about the CAMWEST-discuss mailing list