[CAMWEST-discuss] Fwd: [LBUG] M2 Motorway bike access

Rob Kemp robkemp at tpg.com.au
Mon Jan 15 00:32:46 UTC 2007

Some LBUGgers might share BN's concern about M2 access denial.

>>> Keith Griffin <communications at bikenorth.org.au> 14/01/2007 10:09 pm

Special BN News

Hills M2 Motorway - Cycle Access Denied

Cyclists will be banned on the M2 westbound from Delhi Road to
Beecroft Road from the end of January 2007.

On Friday 12 January 2007, Bike North was contacted by Transurban
(the company that owns the Motorway) advising that they were
converting the cycle lane/breakdown lane into a third traffic lane
with no more than two weeks notice and zero consultation. Cyclists
will be banned.

See press release: http://www.hillsmotorway.com.au/

We have been offered an extremely poor alternative route using
existing roads and paths. The alternative is much slower, much
hillier and much less safe than the M2. The only upgrade will be
signage.

BN advocacy people hope to negotiate the best possible outcome, given

the short notice, but you can help us. Please go to the new M2 Action

page and write some letters. Do it now, because we must have emails
to the relevant people within 48 hours.

Go to: http://advocacy.bikenorth.org.au/m2/

Also please spread the word about this problem with any cyclists you
know who use the M2, whether they be in Bike North or not. This
affects everyone, and we need everyone to help.

Doug Stewart
Ryde Convenor
Bike North Inc.
ryde at bikenorth.org.au

Rob Kemp                        'Trying to live more sustainably'.
Web: http://www4.tpg.com.au/users/robkemp
ph: (h) 02 9864 8797   (w) 02 9296 1561