[CAMWEST-discuss] Fw: Rouse Hill T-Way

jonhol2 at netscape.net jonhol2 at netscape.net
Sun Apr 8 10:20:34 UTC 2007

Hello all,
           I ventured out on my first ride for a month today ( Easter Sunday) to test ride my injured shoulder & I chose to ride the T-Way from Westmead Hospital to the M7. The main reason for doing this was to gain some idea on the track before making any further noise.

My first problem was identifying the cycle way. It was poorly signposted from the Hospital & I rode along the footpath down to Mons Road where I picked up the track. I assume that the footpath was not a shared path as it was not marked that way. I was aware of where the T-Way was before setting out, but had I been going out cold, it would have been a difficult task to find it.

 A short run along Mons Rd ended in a bit of confusion but I finally found the way along the T-Way & over a beautiful bridge, specially designed and built for cycling, all the way to a DEAD END. I stopped & watched another cyclist venture across the Cumberland Highway intersection. He wandered around on the other side of the roadway in bewilderment & then returned to his starting point. I gave him the options of Redbank Rd or the Housing Commission estate & the last I saw of him was him heading towards Redbank. (That is probably his first & last ride on this route).

I took off on the well worn path through the broken fence past the basketball courts. I noted that I rode through a storm water depression & had to clamber down a 60 cm or so wall. This would not be the route to take if it were raining in any way.

The housing commission estate looked relatively neat & tidy but I got the impression I would not like to ride through here in the dark. A resonable amount of graffiti around, poor lighting & lots of little alleys to run into once you mugged someone.

Over the footbridge across the Cumberland. It has a ramp, was easy enough to ride but it had sahrp turns, was relatively narrow & obviously wasn't designed for the cyclist. Off the other side, more Housing Commission Estate, much the same as the other side. A couple of minor detours saw me back on the T-Way Path at the top of the hill.

 Down the hill to Fitzwilliam St was very pleasant. Across the lights & continue on.

The crossing of Fitzwilliam Rd saw me on the residents access road, a narrow stretch about 3 metres wide, with parked cars & two way traffic for about 300 metres. Then it was back on to a dedicated bike path which turned under Old Windsor Road along side the creek with a warning sign that the road was subject to flooding & a flood water indicator. There had been a large amount of storm water run off from Old Windsor Rd & there was quite a nice little quagmire for about 3 metres. Met a father & two kids here. The kids were on an "outfit", a Mountain bike & side car. Looked like fun.

Back up along Old Windsor. Here the bike path is in various states of repair or disrepair.A mix of new & old path.  Areas of debris on the path, some overgrowth, especially around intersections & some interesting turns & traffic calming ideas at intersections. A couple of cars parked on the path & plenty of evidence that this was a regular practice. The crossing of the M2 was slow, due to the traffic volumes & nature of the intersection. The safety barriers on the other side could not be ridden through, so it was detour around or get off & walk through. From there it was back on the cycle way & up to the M7. After the small amount of rain we have had, there was evidence of flooding, poor drainage & poor erosion prevention measures. There is a number of traffic signs growing from the track & they make for interesting riding.

The return trip home took me through the back streets of Winston Hills (Rebecca Place, Barnetts & Moxhams etc) & even though it was 'on road' it was a pleasant ride.

My impressions: Here is another token cycle path. It starts and ends almost nowhere. You can probably make your way to Parramatta from Windsor or Prestons but the detours at this time are a severe impediment to enjoyable commuting.

As with other cycle paths in most areas of Sydney, there is no obvious maintenance programme & no  enforcement programme to discourage parking or driving on the tracks. They appear to be a convenient area for landscapers to gain access to their gardens & are also a very convenient place to site traffic control signs.

The lack of any foresight in planning this track, especially on the Cumberland / Old Windsor Rd intersection makes it a white elephant right from the outset & we should all be contacting the RTA & Parramatta Council regarding this as often as possible.

I also noted that the cycling fraternity is not the only one's inconvenienced by the lack of foresight of the planners. If you choose to be a pedestrian & live on the opposite side of Old Windsor Rd, then good luck getting on to the T-Way without some fairly long walks or dangerous road crossings.

Oh, one plus. There are bike rings at the bus stops but if you choose to leave yours there, then contact your insurer before you do. Plenty of noise barriers & trees to provide cover for the thieves.

I will be making some inquiries with BNSW, RTA & Parramatta Council (as per the comment from Ian MacIndoe below) re this track & the proposed dates to remedy the Cumberland Intersection. If you have already spoken to these people, let me know the results of your conversations as soon as possible.

John Holstein

jonhol2 at netscape.net

"if we don't change direction, we will end up where we are headed"