[CAMWEST-discuss] Fw: Fw: Rouse Hill T-Way

Chris Worthington cworthington at parracity.nsw.gov.au
Mon Apr 9 14:54:31 UTC 2007

Dear Richard

Please find attached an email from a number of members of the bicycle group
relating to the deficiencies of the new bicycle route, now that the
Transitway has been completed . From what the writers state, the situation
appears to be quite disappointing to say the least. It would therefore be
appreciated if this matter could be listed on the agenda of the next
Traffic Committee Meeting and that a spokesperson for the complainants be
requested to come along to the meeting to present their case. Could you
also request Tim Dale to send along a rep. from Civil Works who maybe able
to organise for a rep from the RTA to also attend, so that they can both
give us an update as to what works are still outstanding and when various
matters identified might be rectified.

I must say that I was under the impression that a joint  audit had been
undertaken by officers of Council and the RTA prior to handover, and as
such, I am concerned that so many aspects have been overlooked

In the meantime, I have copied Mike Veysey from the RTA in on this email.

I look forward to your response

Thanking you
Chris Worthington

----- Forwarded by Chris Worthington/Parracity on 10/04/2007 12:28 AM -----

             jonhol2 at netscape.
             net
             08/04/2007 08:20          mpgoard at ihug.com.au,
             PM                        imacian at bigpond.net.au,
                                       Mark.Robson at australwright.com.au,
                                       pmcguire at tpg.com.au,
                                       camwest-discuss at nicku.org,
                                       nicku at nicku.org,
                                       jonhol2 at netscape.net
                                                                        cc
                                       aunwin at bicyclensw.org.au,
                                       mwalsh at parracity.nsw.gov.au,
                                       cworthington at parracity.nsw.gov.au,
                                       gjensen at parracity.nsw.gov.au,
                                       Ian_Lovelock at rta.nsw.gov.au
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [CAMWEST-discuss] Fw: Rouse
                                       Hill T-Way

Hello all,
           I ventured out on my first ride for a month today ( Easter
Sunday) to test ride my injured shoulder & I chose to ride the T-Way from
WestmeadHospital to the M7. The main reason for doing this was to gain some
idea on the track before making any further noise.

My first problem was identifying the cycle way. It was poorly signposted
from the Hospital & I rode along the footpath down to MonsRoad where I
picked up the track. I assume that the footpath was not a shared path as it
was not marked that way. I was aware of where the T-Way was before setting
out, but had I been going out cold, it would have been a difficult task to
find it.

 A short run along MonsRd ended in a bit of confusion but I finally found
the way along the T-Way & over a beautiful bridge, specially designed and
built for cycling, all the way to a DEAD END. I stopped & watched another
cyclist venture across the Cumberland Highway intersection. He wandered
around on the other side of the roadway in bewilderment & then returned to
his starting point. I gave him the options of RedbankRd or the Housing
Commission estate & the last I saw of him was him heading towards Redbank.
(That is probably his first & last ride on this route).

I took off on the well worn path through the broken fence past the
basketball courts. I noted that I rode through a storm water depression &
had to clamber down a 60 cm or so wall. This would not be the route to take
if it were raining in any way.

The housing commission estate looked relatively neat & tidy but I got the
impression I would not like to ride through here in the dark. A
resonableamount of graffiti around, poor lighting & lots of little alleys
to run into once you muggedsomeone.

Over the footbridge across the Cumberland. It has a ramp, was easy enough
to ride but it had sahrpturns, was relatively narrow & obviously wasn't
designed for the cyclist. Off the other side, more Housing Commission
Estate, much the same as the other side. A couple of minor detours saw me
back on the T-Way Path at the top of the hill.

 Down the hill to FitzwilliamSt was very pleasant. Across the lights &
continue on.

The crossing of FitzwilliamRd saw me on the residents access road, a narrow
stretch about 3 metreswide, with parked cars & two way traffic for about
300 metres. Then it was back on to a dedicated bike path which turned under
Old Windsor Road along side the creek with a warning sign that the road was
subject to flooding & a flood water indicator. There had been a large
amount of storm water run off from Old Windsor Rd & there was quite a nice
little quagmire for about 3 metres. Met a father & two kids here. The kids
were on an "outfit", a Mountain bike & side car. Looked like fun.

Back up along Old Windsor. Here the bike path is in various states of
repair or disrepair.A mix of new & old path.  Areas of debris on the path,
some overgrowth, especially around intersections & some interesting turns &
traffic calming ideas at intersections. A couple of cars parked on the path
& plenty of evidence that this was a regular practice. The crossing of the
M2was slow, due to the traffic volumes & nature of the intersection. The
safety barriers on the other side could not be ridden through, so it was
detour around or get off & walk through. From there it was back on the
cycle way & up to the M7. After the small amount of rain we have had, there
was evidence of flooding, poor drainage & poor erosion prevention measures.
There is a number of traffic signs growing from the track & they make for
interesting riding.

The return trip home took me through the back streets of Winston Hills
(Rebecca Place, Barnetts& Moxhamsetc) & even though it was 'on road' it was
a pleasant ride.

My impressions: Here is another token cycle path. It starts and ends almost
nowhere. You can probably make your way to Parramattafrom Windsor or
Prestonsbut the detours at this time are a severe impediment to enjoyable
commuting.

As with other cycle paths in most areas of Sydney, there is no obvious
maintenance programme& no  enforcement programmeto discourage parking or
driving on the tracks. They appear to be a convenient area for
landscapersto gain access to their gardens & are also a very convenient
place to site traffic control signs.

The lack of any foresight in planning this track, especially on the
Cumberland / Old Windsor Rd intersection makes it a white elephant right
from the outset & we should all be contacting the RTA & ParramattaCouncil
regarding this as often as possible.

I also noted that the cycling fraternity is not the only one's
inconvenienced by the lack of foresight of the planners. If you choose to
be a pedestrian & live on the opposite side of Old Windsor Rd, then good
luck getting on to the T-Way without some fairly long walks or dangerous
road crossings.

Oh, one plus. There are bike rings at the bus stops but if you choose to
leave yours there, then contact your insurer before you do. Plenty of noise
barriers & trees to provide cover for the thieves.

I will be making some inquiries with BNSW, RTA & ParramattaCouncil (as per
the comment from Ian MacIndoebelow) re this track & the proposed dates to
remedy the Cumberland Intersection. If you have already spoken to these
people, let me know the results of your conversations as soon as possible.

John Holstein
jonhol2 at netscape.net

"if we don't change direction, we will end up where we are headed"