[CAMWEST-discuss] T-Way Cycleway Detour.

jonhol2 at netscape.net jonhol2 at netscape.net
Mon Oct 8 09:15:42 UTC 2007

Hello all,

??????????? I have two matters to discuss.

The first is to support Bernies comments about the route under Old Windsor Rd into Sherwood. It is a bit dicey travelling down to the underpass, but is a very viable alternative to the busway, hole in the wall (when it is open) or through the housing estate & over the bridge on Harts Rd.

The residents on the Sherwood Rd side would prefer to have that area blocked off as it provides access to 'undesireables', being the residents of the previously mentioned housing estate & possibly cyclists. If you have time, I also suggest a ride along the creek to see the good work done by the residents along there. You will have to walk in a couple of places but the lack of weeds & rubish is very noticeable.

I was assured recently by a member of the Parramatta Cycleways Committee that there was a solution to the T-Way problem being provided very shortly. It appears that solution was the erection of the signs prohibiting cyclists and pedestrians on the section leading to the intersection in question.

The way I see it is that we have several options that should be taken immediately for both the T-Way & Rydalmere Bridge:-

1. Bombard Parramatta Council & local State & Federal MP's with protest letters regarding the current situation.

2. Write letters to the Editor of the local newspapers highlighting the blatant waste of tax payers funds in both of these projects.

3. Simply ride the T-way in ever increasing numbers, challenging the operators or Police to Fine us for riding on a piece of road that should be open to us anyway.

What are the thoughts of the forum?

The second issue is: I am looking for someone with a recumbent. A work colleague of my wife was a keen social bicyclist until a motor cycle accident robbed him of the complete use of his right arm. He has ridden since then but does not feel safe or confident on a bicycle in his current state. My wife suggested he try a recumbent as an alternative & he was responsive to that suggestion, so if you have access to a recumbent & would be prepared to let this person try one out, let me know.

Thanks

John Holstein

"if we don't change direction, we will end up where we are headed"