[CAMWEST-discuss] Fw: Historic Cycling Documentary to Premiere in Sydney

Nick Urbanik nicku at nicku.org
Thu Nov 29 19:47:21 UTC 2007

Dear CAMWESTies,

For any film lovers among you.  Film is tomorrow night.

----- Forwarded message from William Savage <bills at mjmpost.com> -----

From: William Savage <bills at mjmpost.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 17:04:57 -0800
To: secretary at camwest.pps.com.au
Subject: Historic Cycling Documentary to Premiere in Sydney

Hello There Cam West,

My name is Billy Savage and I'm a first-time filmmaker.  I've made a
documentary, KLUNKERZ, about the birth of the sport of mountain biking in
Northern California.  KLUNKERZ is playing with The Bicycle Film Festival in
Sydney on Saturday, Dec. 1st at 7:30pm. The screening will take place at
Dendy Opera Quays, 2 East Circular Quay.

The film stars Gary Fisher, Joe Breeze, Tom Ritchey, Mike Sinyard, and the
rest of mountain biking's pioneers. The film is packed with archival
footage and photographs of these off-road pioneers during their early
road-racing, cyclo-cross, and off-road exploits. I hope you will consider
coming to The Bicycle Film Festival and checking it out.

The film made it's world premiere at the Mill Valley Film Festival last
year. It was the first time in 29 years that the MVFF added a third
screening for a documentary due to overwhelming demand for tickets.  I lost
the audience award to the Academy Award nominated 'Deliver Us From Evil' by
less than 2% of the vote. It's nice to be in good company.

I've recently re-cut, remixed, re-narrated, and re-scored the entire film.
The final version was completed in June of '07. KLUNKERZ has been praised
by audiences and the press alike, based on the previous vesion. KLUNKERZ
was nominated for 'Best Documentary' and 'Emerging Filmmmaker' awards at
the 2007 X-Dance Action Sports Awards during Sundance. The film won the
'Best Documentary' jury prize at the 2007 Durango Independent Film Festival
and also set attendance records at that festival. The film has been playing
to sold-out audiences around the world.

The reviews have been universally positive for the film. Here's a few media
mentions from the KLUNKERZ tour thus far...

“This fascinating little documentary does make the argument that the
Marin
County clique popularized the practice, and tells the history of mountain
bike
technology and production. Savage had to act like some sort of cross
between Jane
Goodall hanging out with the mountain gorillas, and Jimmy Carter brokering
Mideast peace, in order to get the interviews. Tensions had developed among
the original group once mountain biking became profitable-some guys
cashed in to the tune of millions of dollars, and some didn’t. Several of
them
  are now eco-warriors who build bikes to promote healthy bodies and a
healthy planet.”
Santa Barbara Independent 1/28/07

“The 90 minute film was an enlightening, entertaining about one of the
thing I love most, the mountain bike. The interviews, personalities, the
  original photographs and footage taught me why these men (and women) did
what they did and how our sport grew into what it is now. It is truly a
special movie.”
Decline Magazine 2/07

“What began as a bunch of stoned long-hairs riding their klunkerz down
the
mountainside turned into what mountain biking is today. The movie stands as
documented history lesson. It’s colorful characters and the community
they
created is what makes the movie completely stand out. It’s Dogtown
and Z-Boys for mountain bikers.”
The Durango Herald 2/27/07

“Savage calls it a labor of love and it seems true from every aspect. The
Marin
County native spent two years of his life, and much of his family’s
money, to the
making of the film, which traces the roots of Fisher and his friends who
created
mountain biking as we know it. Intricately woven into the film is
Fisher’s connection
to the culture of the ‘70s. His relationships with the musical icons of
the time, the
  psychedelic culture of the Bay Area is all interwoven into the Klunkerz
tale.”
Park Record Park City, UT 1/07/07

"Director Billy Savage has put together a remarkable film that traces the
early evolution of mountain biking. Maybe the most remarkable thing about
the film
  is you don't have to be a mountain biker to be thoroughly entertained"
Mountain Bike Action, Oct. 2007

I hope you'll consider passing this email around and coming down the
theater and taking a look at this glimpse into cyclings not-so-distant
past. To find out more about the film, please visit www.klunkerz.com and
sales inquiries can be sent to ben at vasentertainment.com. I very much
appreciate your time and I hope to hear from you soon.

Ride on,
Billy Savage
writer/producer/director
KLUNKERZ c/o