[CAMWEST-discuss] Australia Day

Karen B zippyzither at aapt.net.au
Thu Dec 20 07:00:13 UTC 2007

> Hi is anyone interested in getting involved in the Australia Day event? I
was considering going but given the size of the festival, it is more than I
could manage on my own. If anyone is interested, perhaps we could have a
joint stall?

Karen
www.bicyclerecycling.com

> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Invitation to run a stall on Australia Day (robert catford)
>    2. Bike safety training for refugees (robert catford)
>    3. Re: Seniors Week Bicycle Ride (robert catford)

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 20:04:26 +1100
> From: robert catford <droftac at hotmail.com>
> Subject: [CAMWEST-discuss] Invitation to run a stall on Australia Day
> To: "camwest-discuss at nicku.org" <camwest-discuss at nicku.org>
>
> Dear camwesties,
>
> We've been invited to run a stall on Australia Day in Parramatta Park. I
received a call from Ben Eadie (0422 871 327) who is organising a number of
events for Parramatta Council on the day with a theme around sustainable
living and climate change. He's keen to have a Western Sydney BUG attend.
The stall is provided for free along with chairs and signage. Should be good
exposure to alot of potential cyclists. Would someone like to volunteer to
be the main organiser and we need a number of people to volunteer to man the
stall on the day.

http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fcontent%2Emycareer%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fsalary%2Dcentre%3Fs%5Fcid%3D595810&_t=766724125&_r=Hotmail_Email_Tagline_MyCareer_Oct07&_m=EXT

community centre in Wentworthville running a bike safety course for refugee
African children run by council road safety and the bike cops. Recycled
bikes were also provided to the children. I'm wondering whether someone in
Camwest might like to get involved in some way around supporting these
children to keep up the safe riding. Perhaps Camwest could lead some rides
for the children. Just an idea for anyone with time and energy.

http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fsecure%2Dau%2Eimrworldwide%2Ecom%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Fa%2Fci%5F450304%2Fet%5F2%2Fcg%5F801459%2Fpi%5F1004813%2Fai%5F859641&_t=762955845&_r=tig_OCT07&_m=EXT

see CAMWest 'revitalised'. I hope that we can move forward throughout 2008
and build a group that is valued in the cycling world in Western Sydney. Now
is an excellent time to be pushing for more and improved infrastructure and
promotong cycling.

> I hope we can build on the hard work that has been done by CAMWest in the
past so that the efforts of Ian and his band of members was not in vain. We
are working in a much more supportive and positive climate now, compared to
the early days of CAMWest and they must be commended and thanked for their
efforts to date as they have laid the foundations for our organistaion to
move forward more easilly.

> Minutes from the meeting and new executive positions will be circulated
shortly. One matter that was discussed was a proposed event for Seniors
Week. I have been working with Bicycle NSW & we have secured funding to the
tune of $800-00 to run an event. Included below is a proposed Press release.
Please feel free to comment on its contents. If you wish to obtain a copy
for your local media, please email me & I will send you a copy in "Word"
that you can print out or forward on.

> I will also be looking for half a dozen volunteers for the day & I hope to
trial the bike rodeo concept prior to the actual day.

> PRESS RELEASE
>

> To help celebrate 50 Years of Seniors Week activities, Western Sydney
based Bicycle User Group, Cyclist Action Movement West (CAMWest) intend
holding a ‘Return to Cycling’ Event at Parramatta Park on Tuesday 8 April
2008.

> The event will be held as part of Seniors Week in conjunction with DADHC,
Bicycle NSW & Parramatta City Council and will focus on developing basic
riding skills for Seniors to encourage them to return to cycling for sport,
fitness and leisure.

> Event coordinator and Promotions Officer for CAMWest, John Holstein said,
“The old adage, ’It’s just like riding a bike’ is not really true. Cycling
is a perishable skill that needs to be practised to retain proficiency. We
hope to present a full day of practical activity focusing on bike selection
and fitting, Road Rules, basic riding and balance skills, cycling fitness
and stretching exercises based on the concept of a Bicycle Rodeo.”

> Contrary to the term, “Rodeo” don’t expect thrills, spills and bucking
bikes. Participants will engage in a range of slow speed exercises designed
to build confidence in their cycling ability and balance. These activities
will include hazard avoidance, maximum braking techniques, safe areas to
ride and where to acquire further skills. The day will culminate in an
optional 2 or 3 km ride around Parramatta Park. You will acquire skills that
you may wish to pass on to others such as fellow Seniors or the Grand Kids.

> It is hoped to utilise the skills of the NSW Police Bike Squad Instructors
for the day and guest speakers are being approached to attend. Instruction
on stretching and exercises will be provided by a registered
Physiotherapist.

> Elizabeth Hole, Chief Operating Officer for Bicycle NSW said, “This is a
brand new initiative to promote cycling and healthy living for Seniors. I am
absolutely delighted to be working at this level with Seniors and although
it is still some time off for me, I hope that at that time, someone will be
doing the same for my generation. It is very important at any age to stay
fit and healthy and riding a bicycle is a fun way to do this.”

>  Lunch & morning tea will be provided, free of charge. Spaces are limited
and available to Seniors only. You will need to book early for this exciting
event. You can find out more and register your interest by contacting John
Holstein on 02 96862391 or visit our website at www.camwest.pps.com.au.

http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=832&referral=hotmailtaglineOct07&URL=http://music.ninemsn.com.au/roguetraders