[CAMWEST-discuss] [LBUG] Re: gas to liquids and coal to liquids

Danny Hannan danny_hannan at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 7 05:51:09 UTC 2008

G'day Robert,
The major energy efficiency gains that have been made in the last 20 (and many more years) are; materials based,
lighter weight high strength composite materials for aircraft and automobiles and bicycles.
a small increase in the fuel efficiency of both internal combustion and gas turbine engines (turbo fan jet) for aircraft, mostly materials based that can run at higher temperatures to gain a higher thermodynamic efficiency.
miniaturisation in computer technology (less material doing more).
Light production from light emitting diodes. light out put per Watt.
I am sure that there is more and people will bring them to our attention.

Most of the processes we use have set chemical energy requirements and it is only the use of the other-wise waste heat that has improved the efficiency.

That is about it.  Most of the other stuff has always been around but energy was so cheap that it was not cost effective.  Or immediate outlay was the concern rather than the long term costs.

An example is the design of schools.  The cheapest price for the construction of the buildings is the concern, instead of the cost of running the school over its life.  The design differences would be substantial and the long term costs would be reduced with an initial increased cost.

Energy efficiency is governed by the laws of thermodynamics, and most of the processes that we use are governed by the laws of chemistry and physics and so increases in energy efficiency require much input in research and development for small gains.  One hope is titanium oxide based photovoltaic cells, though not as efficient in energy conversion they have the potential to have a low energy input to be produced, they are many years away even decades.  The energy cost for the silicon based current technology is such that it takes the life of the cells (25 years) to make a small energy profit on the energy input.  Hence their expense.

You need to understand energy profit ratios (EPR) and research the necessary energy profit ratios for a viable energy industry and some understanding of HSC physics and chemistry and some understanding of the 3 laws of thermodynamics.  Then you will see where I am coming from.

Just as a small example ; energy profit ratio of subsistence farming.  You have one Joule of energy to use (you eat) or to invest to plant to make 2 Joules, That gives you one Joule to use (you eat) and one to invest (plant) to make another two Joules in the future.  An EPR of 1:2 is statis, no change.

The energy profit ratio for an energy production industry needs to exceed 1:7 to be viable.  For every Joule of input there must be a nett output of at least 7 Joules of energy.  Not my numbers but from much more knowledge minds than mine.  The EPR for putting petrol in your tank is about 1:25, for coal fired distributed electricity about 1:9.

Steaming coal prices from New Castle Harbour are easily obtained for cost comparisons.  Steaming coal is the most abundant fossil reserve both globally and in Australia and will be the major contributer to global energy in a decade or two.   Current ratios about 35% oil, 6% nuclear 6% renewable (almost all hydro) 28% coal and about 25% nat gas.   BP stat review is out this month for year 2007 for up to date and historical data. Brown coal contains a little over half the energy per tonne of steaming coal and so nearly twice the tonnage has to be used at twice the processing energy cost for the same energy output.

Agricultural land value is based on the income it will return or on its value for other than agricultural purposes (redevelopment, housing, industrial etc).  The cost of the land amortised over a period has a very small impact on the cost of agricultural production, most of the 4-6% not attributed to energy is attributed to finance and labour.

Some even more scary thoughts.  Our agricultural production per area has increased by 10 times but the energy input per area has increased by 100 times.  As energy cost increases as a portion of GDP, the production per area will decline due to lower energy input and the area under production will decline as increasing energy costs make more marginal land not viable.  Bye bye food and bio-fuels.  Let alone the effects of climate change on rainfall.

Efficiency gains can and will be made but will be very minor as they have been in the past, our energy supply is in decline, our population is on the increase and we have already degraded a large portion of our planet's bio-production, forrests, fish stocks, arrable land and bio-diversity.

Welcome to "The Great Energy Depression of the Twenty First Century"

Dan

 danny_hannan at yahoo.com