[CAMWEST-discuss] Spring Cycle Update

John Holstein jonhol2 at netscape.net
Wed Jun 11 09:53:37 UTC 2008

Fellow CAMWESTIES,
??????????????????????????????? Rob Kemp? & I rode with Staff from Bicycle NSW along the proposed route for the Blacktown Leg of the City Of Sydney Spring Cycle today. I had ridden parts of the route before but I was very?impressed with the whole route.

We started at the Olympic Baseball Grounds near Rooty Hill. This will be the official start. There will be plenty of space & facilities here including change rooms & excellent toilet facilities. There is limited parking for about 120 to 140 cars as well as a kiss & ride set down facility.

>From there we headed straight on to the excellent M7 Cycle Path & headed towards the Equestrian centre where we turned off towards "Moonrise Hill." This spot commands beautiful views of all of Sydney and it is well worth the ride for this view alone. From there we wander along some very good cycle paths past Fairfield City Farm before heading back to the Prospect Canal Path to the Rail Trail at Guildford where we meet the Liverpool leg of the ride. This leads down to the M4 Cycle way at Granville & follows that all the way to Olympic Park.

I ride to and from the city on a regular basis & whilst riding this route, I couldn't help but think how fortunate we are in the West for some of our cycling facilities. I know they aren't perfect & don't meet all of our requirements, but from a recreational point of view they are, in my opinion, very good.

Whilst we were riding, we came upon the familiar face of Mark Robson who was out doing a saddle survey of some of the cycle routes in Holroyd Council area. He informed us they were developing a Bike Plan & he was checking out the good and bad points of the paths. If you have any information that would benefit Mark, please let him know. If you wish to conduct some of your own saddle surveys, also contact him & see where he has been. Not much point in doubling up.

So, remember to mark the Spring Cycle in your Diaries - Sunday 19 October 2008.??

We are looking for volunteers to assist with the ride & would also like to explore the possibility of a CAMWEST stall at the finish of the ride.

John Holstein
Member of CAMWEST (camwest.pps.com.au) advocating for better cycling infrastructure for Sydney's West.