[CAMWEST-discuss] BIkes at Super Cheap Auto

Danny Hannan danny_hannan at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 11 08:01:01 EST 2008

G'day all,
I pruchassed a reasonably expensive BMX bike for my greansdson for his sixth birthday from a very reputable dealer and friend.  After stripping the pedal bearings and cleaning the metal shavings and regreasing, likewise the bottom bracket bearing and freewheel bearing, cheaking both the wheel and head bearing which needed no work and tightening the spokes on both wheels and retruing them he has riden the bike for 3 years no problems(now getting too small).  The moral is the cheaper the bike the cheaper the equipment the higher the likelyhood of poor construction.  The countries where these are built the workers are paid a pitance per unit and are often not knowledgeable engineering wise.
Buy the bike if you must but for reliability, strip all bearings clean regrease and adjust, and tighten the spokes and retrue the wheels.  For me this is standard procedure for bikes into the several $1000's range.  I know they should be right but they are all made to a price not a standard so courners are always cut.  I have never stripped a new bike and not found fundamental problems, the most common on high end gear (Shimano XT and Ultrega) is over-tight bearings and spokes too lose to be reliable.  But often find the problems that I found in my grandsons bike.
Dan
 danny_hannan at yahoo.com