[CAMWEST-discuss] Fw: Penrith Bicycle Plan - Bicycle User Group Discussion

Danny Hannan danny_hannan at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 11 00:12:11 UTC 2009

G'day all,
Firstly I refer you to Smart Transport Economic Stimulus www.vtpi.org/econ_stim.pdf .

Secondly I refer you to the two attached research articles with this update on the situation.

Both Russian and Saudi Arabian oil production have been in decline for several years, between them they produce 25% of the world's oil.  Australia's production of oil is in terminal decline.

With the current low prices for oil (below the cost of production of many fields) caused by a drop in consumption and the very tight credit situation both caused by this current recession, over one hundred billion US dollars of current and future oil production has been moth-balled, delayed, shelved or cancelled and more cuts are in the pipeline, limiting both current and future supply.  In addition the International Energy Agency's 2008 assessment that the 800 largest oil fields have an average of greater than 9% decline in production a year.  This information almost guarantees that 2006 was the "Peak Oil Production Year" and that the supply of oil will soon decline faster than demand again pushing oil prices to heights that cause increased economic stress.

As oil is almost not replaceable as the energy source for personal transport, the humble bicycle is going to play an ever increasing role in personal transport needs.  Hence it is beholden on councils to provide safe and efficient transport corridors for cyclists.

Dan
danny_hannan at yahoo.com