[CAMWEST-discuss] Open Cycle Map

pbowyer at qantas.com.au pbowyer at qantas.com.au
Sun Jul 26 23:42:16 UTC 2009

Hi Rob,
This sounds great.
I bought a Garmin Edge 305 late last year, and have had a wee attempt at
sounds good.
What is your GPS?

Regard
Paul

Paul Bowyer
Project Manager
Qantas Airways Ltd
203 Coward St Mascot 2020
pbowyer at qantas.com.au
+61438 856 880

Rob Kemp <robkemp at tpg.com.au>
Sent by: camwest-discuss-bounces at nicku.org
26/07/2009 09:40 PM

camwest-discuss <camwest-discuss at nicku.org>
cc

Subject
[CAMWEST-discuss] Open Cycle Map

Hi everyone,

I recently discovered OpenCycleMap & OpenStreetMap on the web.
Basically, OpenStreetMap is a wiki style user editable non-copyright map
of the world.
'Ways' or 'Points of interest' are added by users, who then add tags to
these items.
OpenCycleMap extracts or highlights all the cycling related information
in the OpenStrretMap database.

I've recently purchased a GPS, and have been riding some of the streets
and shared paths, then uploading the 'tracks' to the OpenStreetMap
website and adding appropriate tags.
Some parts of Sydney have been mapped farily comprehensively, but there
are parts of Western Sydney that have gaping holes, particuarly in
relation to shared paths.
Note that only 'official' routes should normally be added to the
database (as opposed to your favourite routes).  There is at least one
website, http://www.bikemap.net/, which lets you select different base
maps (Under the 'Terrain' list button).  'OSM Cycle' can be selected,
and your favourite routes overlayed on this basemap.  It would be great
if bikely added this feature sometime in the future......

I see this as a major step forward in making cycling routes and
facilities available to the general public.  Written maps are good, but
get out of date quickly. With this system, as soon as a route/shared
path is completed, it can be added to the site.  It's not dependent on
the whims of councils or the RTA.  The maps can also be uploaded to a GPS.

I've put some links and notes on the Sydney Cyclist website - See
http://www.sydneycyclist.com/group/opencyclemap.

Would anyone either like to do some mapping on their own, or join me on
some mapping rides?

--

cheers,

Rob

************** PLEASE CONSIDER OUR ENVIRONMENT BEFORE PRINTING
******************* Confidentiality and Privilege Notice

This e-mail is intended only to be read or used by the addressee. It is confidential and may contain legally privileged information. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone, and you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail. Confidentiality and legal privilege are not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you.

Qantas Airways Limited
ABN 16 009 661 901

Visit Qantas online at http://qantas.com