[CAMWEST-discuss] [LBUG] Cars are King - Carl

Danny Hannan danny_hannan at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 11 08:43:44 UTC 2009

While Carl makes some valid points and as Minister he did more for cycling than any minister before or since.

I happen to disagree with Carl.  The roads are paid for by rates, developer contributions, fuel excise, and state taxes which we all pay either directly or indirectly so we all have a right to use the roadsm.  That cyclists using the road network are cash positive to the community is also overlooked by Carl.  Reducing congestion, pollution, raising the health of the cyclist etc.

But most importantly Carl has not considered the consequences of this article.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world/oil-supply-estimates-distorted-report-20091110-i6c4.html

There will be little choice for people to get around except by bicycle on our roads within 20 years and my bet is within 10 years.  I have just turned 60 and I still recon I will be able to ride the M2/M7 main lanes on a bicycle without having to worry about traffic in 2025, I will be 76.  Any bets?

Dandanny_hannan at yahoo.com