[CAMWEST-discuss] Hills M2 Upgrade

John Holstein jonhol2 at netscape.net
Thu Nov 12 08:53:53 UTC 2009

Fellow CAMWESTies,
                               My partner Sandra & I attended a meeting with the operators of the M2 regarding the proposed widening of the Motorway. RTA members were there, as well as Representatives from Leighton's, Bike North President Graeme Edwards, Doug Stewart & Alex Unwin (CEO Bicycle NSW)

The proposed widening was discussed and the outcome of the meeting was that cyclists would be banned from the M2 for the entire period of reconstruction, approximately 2 years.

In the interim, 2 alternative routes have been put forward for the area to the west of Pennant Hills Road. One involved a very circuitous route along North Rocks Road & back up through Winston Hills. The shorter, more direct route proposed was along Renown Road ( The Big Dipper). The reward for two years of using these routes will be the reinstatement of the Break Down Lane cycleway along the M2, with few provisions for any separation at exit & entrance ramps.

Also, the proposal will allow for more access and exit ramps along the route, including Windsor Rd west bound. This has the potential to add large amounts of traffic to an already crowded Windsor Rd, with no plans in place to make any changes in that area. My belief is that it will transfer the present traffic jam that occurs at NorWest to Windsor Road.

Some details are available at their website http://www.hillsm2.com.au/upgrade.htm and negotiations between cycling groups and the construction people will continue, as well as some dialogue with other groups regarding the Environmental Impact Statement.

This widening appears to be a lose / lose situation for cyclists and I encourage you to lobby your local member, write to the papers, write to the Minister and take an active interest in this proposal.

By their own admission, they expect this to be a solution with a life span of no more than 10 years.